Change is good... right?
Kindergarten has changed over the years. For example, tonight we have an "Ice Cream Social" which is mandatory for kindergarteners and their parents, and school doesn't even start for another week. I don't remember this being the way of things when I was a kid, or even when my big kids were kindergarteners, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
We meet and find out the name of his assigned teacher tonight, because nowadays that's classified top-secret information that we as a society can't risk giving out ahead of time. Further, they just notified us by letter that the first two weeks of school are subject to (and I quote here) "fluid change", which means that the teacher he meets tonight may or may not be his teacher for the year.
And oh yes, we received a letter today that by-the-way, they've decided to split the incoming kinder class into two groups the first week of school. Too bad you've been telling your kid all summer that he will get to ride the school bus on the first day of kindergarten because HA-HA! he isn't scheduled until Group 2 which has its first day of school on the second actual day. So, yet again he will watch in tears as his siblings and friends get on the schoolbus the first day of school while he remains behind. But don't worry, the school district has decided this is in the kids' best interest. Have a fun last week of summer!
I'd grumble and growl a bit longer, but I don't want to get put on Step 1 for being late to the ice cream social. TTFN.

22 Comments:
Poor boy, that's got to be heart breaking. School politics can be so ridiculous.
What if you don't like ice cream? Do you have to wait in the car?
;0)
S
I learned long ago never to tell the boy anything is certain to happen because as sure as you do, it's a certainty that it won't happen as you promised. "Maybe" and "that would be nice" and many "we'll have to wait and see."
Mandatory ice cream social? This is an outrage. To show solidarity with you I'm going to go eat a bunch of ice cream right now. Bloggers unite!
Ridiculous.
Stupid school anyway!
The conversation that I am imagining:
Eclectic - Dear School, I will not be attending your ice cream social.
School - Why? Are you lactose intolerant?
Eclectic - No, but I am "dumb-ass" intolerant.
TysGirl: He really was disappointed, but after he met his (hopefully) teacher, and she told him how excited she is for him to be there on his day, etc., he's doing a bit better.
Shelly: YES! And hope there's a nice single-malt in the car!!
Bloggy: Proving that you are wise beyond your tender years, young one.
Vahid: YEAH! Now, if only they'd have a mandatory scotch social.
Shawkey: THANK you! It absolutely is.
Twinnie: That's the thing, both older kids attended the same school and it's actually a really good school. Very strange.
GSR: HA! I attended, but I showed 'em... I didn't eat their stupid mandatory ice cream.
Geez, mandatory ice cream? What if you're diabetic???
Good for you that you abstained from the mandatory ice cream.
Are you taking a date to the Icecream Social? Is the kid?
Squirl: I KNOW!! ;)
William: Yes! I dragged my husband along because I figure fair is fair.
we have our kindergarten social tomorrow here in yelm. no ice cream, though. i think we're milking cows.
mandatory? that would be a sure way of making me go all passive/aggresive and have other plans for that evening that just cannot be cancelled.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I encountered this crazy intro to kindergarten phenomenon here this week, with one of my clients. One who, like many of that age, has trouble with transitions. So what does the school system do? Gives them more transitions, more confusing and irregular transitions. For whom is this good? It terrorizes some children, drives parents nuts and pisses off employers. What is wrong with us? *sigh*
Let's see how complicated we can make something that really has never required any degree of complication. For example, there are people alive today (some typing words right now!) that managed kindergarten without such 'fluidity'. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing anyone have their fluids changed during my stay in kindergarten. I think one kid peed himself, but we all took this in stride because, hey, he's 5 years old. Cut him some slack.
Brandon: What's the point of even milking the cows if there's no ice cream?! Geez.
Dykewife: Me too. I'm a redhead, so contrary is in my nature... but I try to behave where my kids are concerned.
Susie: Everyone out here is so gung-ho on this new process that I really am starting to feel like the lone voice in the wilderness, clinging to the "old ways" just because. But I absolutely agree with you: if ANYONE developmentally needs routine, it's young children. HOW ON EARTH is it a good idea to subject them to "fluid change" for two weeks?!?!
Sir: Complication is the new black I guess. THEY'RE 5 YEARS OLD! Can't they just go to school and y'know, run with scissors or something?
As a teacher, I feel completely qualified in saying that at least half of what most school districts do is completely and totally irrational, seemingly intentional inefficient, and, well, very politically correct. *&^&*^^&% bureaucrats and admins...
I blame the unions, actually. End rant, before it gets out of control...
I remember the good ol'days when "first day of school" meant the actual honest to goodness FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL.
I miss that.
I can't comment without ranting, so here's a hug.
(((hug)))
That's it. The Pea gets home-schooled.
Post a Comment
<< Home