Ow.
I have a gift. I guess it's more of a talent, really. For falling.
For example: A few weeks ago -- President's Day in fact -- I fell while skate skiing. I fell hard enough to break one of my poles in two from the force of the pole-plant trying to withstand my hurtling body at warp speed. I still have the Montana-sized bruise on my left flank, although it's gone to grey and greenish now from the deep blue and purple it once was. I nearly knocked myself unconscious and experienced a pretty significant whiplash which has been healing nicely, thank you.
But last night, I discovered that my gift for falling is truly rare and magnificent. I was attending a coaching class for cycling -- doing time trials, measuring lactic acid thresholds, etc. My bike was mounted on a rear-wheel trainer and I was clipped in at the pedals. We were in the final minute of a forty-minute effort and had been instructed to go all out. Evidently my bike speaks and understands English, for at that very moment, one side of the rear wheel skewer slipped out of the trainer... trying for "all out", I presume. I tumbled over -- hard -- bike and all, feet still clipped in, and landed just near enough to the fellow next to me that his foot struck the back of my head --twice-- before he was able to stop the revolution of his cranks.
Now before you get all concerned, let me just ask you this: Who falls riding a bike indoors on a stationary trainer?!?!?! NO ONE, that's who! Except ME! So now, you can say you are acquainted with an exceptionally gifted athlete. The fact that my athletic gift is falling?? Well, that'll just be our little secret.

37 Comments:
OMG, Twinnie! What on earth?! Are you sure you're ok? What a talented athlete you are! Too bad that's not uh, genetic. I mean, being twins and all...uhhh, yea.
i'm glad you're not seriously hurt. you know, if you're going to do something, do it with style. it sounds like you have style galore :)
You know, you had me until you mentioned "measuring lactic acid thresholds". Doesn't anyone do "stuff" for fun these days? Must we always be measuring our lactic acid thingamajiggers?
15 points deducted for making bike riding a sport.
[Oh, and recently I heard that soaking balsam plant in whiskey was good for bruising.]
I recently heard soaking your throat and stomach in whiskey is good for bruising.
What are the chances a security camera caught the fall on tape and it will make you tube?
Oh no! See... that's exactly why I don't exercise. It's just way too dangerous. Hope you're recovering!
I always knew you were extra special. I'm glad your talent hasn't caused you permanent damage thus far.
I'm a little surprised you didn't find a way to blame this on DST.
Sweetie, I've known all along that I am acquainted with an exceptionally gifted athlete. Whatever you do, you do all the way! :)
*and see, I keep saying all that exercise will kill you...*
Now see, at least you were actually doing something when you fell. Instead of, say . . . just walking off a curb and bruising your chin when you hit the ground.
But still--OWWWW! I think the whiskey prescription is a good one. Go for it!
OUCH!!!! Hope you're feeling okay!
A.
Traci: I KNOW! Talent usually runs in families... are you sure you're not clumsy too?
Dykewife: Yay! Style points!! Thank you!
Bloggy: You can deduct points?!?! *sheesh* Nobody TOLD me that.
William: That's wha'm'talkin' bout... whiskey!! And if there had been a camera, don't you think I'd have posted it already? It had to be hilarious to watch!!
Jenny: It's not technically the exercise that was dangerous, it's the "being mechanically inept." But I'm recovering -- bones heal. Humiliation, on the other hand, lasts forever.
TG: Yeah, my being "special" probably shows... And I would have blamed it on DST except it's so obvious I didn't think I needed to.
CK: THAT's it!! I'm not clumsy, I'm intense!! I like it!
Shawkey: I agree with you on the whiskey script -- in fact, I filled it just last night! And I'm sure I don't know ANYONE who just walks of a curb and bruises their chin hitting the ground... ;)
Angie: Stiff and sore, but otherwise just fine. My ego's a bit bruised...
Ouch. Was it a different side at least?
Falling off stationary bikes, by the way, is totally something I would do. I can trip standing still.
Damn sister, must we watch you every moment?
Seriously, I hope you are OK.
I too have the gift. I have bruises all over me that I can't tell you how they got there. You clearly put on a show! I should work on that:)
MWA
Shelly
Oh, Shari, if anyone could replicate that, it'd be me. I trip over chairs (sufficiently enough to go down) at least once or twice a week... while walking.
And humiliation -- that's a badge of pride.
Before I announce what a complete jack ass that I truly am, let me just say that I'm SO glad you weren't hurt too bad.
*ahem*
Thanks for making me laugh this morning. I tried to stifle it but then the Hubs looked over at me and said "Are you laughing or crying?" so I couldn't keep quiet anymore and let out a more audible guffaw. The part that "got" me was this: "his foot struck the back of my head --twice--"
Again, I'm sorry you got hurt, but I'm glad it wasn't too serious and I'm sorry I have such a sick sense of humor.
i fall off of treadmills ALL THE TIME.
Zuhn: NO! It was the left side again. Probably it's because I'm left-leaning.
Shelly: Well no, you don't HAVE to watch me every moment, but it promises to be pretty entertaining if you do...
Matt: The thing is, it was Day 1 of a 10-session class with people I'd never met. Flippin' sweet.
Q: I wondered when you'd get over here to laugh your ass off at my expense!!
Kat!: Treadmills are well-known for their animosity. That's why I avoid them.
Yes, yes I can.
Yeeouch!!!!
But still, I am pleased to be acquainted with someone so exceptional.
Maybe I'm not ill after all. Maybe falling just runs in the family :)
Wow! Those are epic falls that will live in family history for decades to come. They will be brought up at Thanksgiving dinners and family BBQs as the Worse Falls EVER! At least until the next one occurs.
Stay safe.
Limpy's Bruise Remedy
Fix glass of scotch.
Add ice.
Remove ice.
Place ice in towel.
Leave towel in sink.
Drink scotch.
Repeat as necessary
Bloggy: Any other tricks you want to share with the class?
HTGT: ***bows modestly***
Susiekins: Yeah -- we have falling genes. Which, on balance, is probably better than falling jeans...
Kranki: And with my current track record, I should have a new one in the record books by Easter!
Limpy: Oh sir, that is advice I will TAKE. Thank you!
Limpy's remedy has many applications. Including, but not limited to:
-Bad days
-PMS
-preparing for arrival of inlaws
-dealing with inlaws while they are in your home
-recuperating after inlaws leave
-missing your husband
-hot, drunk sex
-blog friends reunions that you are unable to attend
-etc
-etc
I find it usually works best to repeat the process several times.
That's quite classy! Imagine the damage you could do on a REAL bike in the great outdoors!
LF: Hi! Great to see you!!
TG: Hear, hear! I hate being left out. Let's drink!! (Oh, and we're scheduling a trip to Knoxville to see the B.I.L sometime in July. You around then?)
Dave2: Oh I needn't imagine. I have the benefit of experience from summer of '05. I'm gifted, I'm tellin' ya.
You wouldn't be related to Bucky and me (and Susie) if you didn't do spectacular falls. But what sets you apart from us is that you're actually doing something athletic when they happen. We fall while walking on flat ground. :-)
Love ya, sis!
Hmmm... I have to wonder how long it took you to get off training wheels when you were a kid, lol. But I can't talk. I trip over my own shoelaces.
Exceptional. I'd have rushed over to help you. And then laughed my ass off later.
Glad you're OK. perhaps you should switch to stationary tricycles till you've got those mastered ...
Uh, have you considered that you athletic endeavors may be hazardous to your health?
Well you know I have the gift for falling upstairs. So I can relate, well no I think I would rather fall upstairs. Glad you were not seriously hurt. Didn't your momma tell you not to ride your bike inside?
*GASP* Smartphone LIED! He isn't a blogger at ALL. And he didn't list you in his blogroll, either! I'm sure the hug is heartfelt, though.
I have to say - not exactly what I was expecting when Bucky said "Go check out Shari's blog - see the Brazilian!"
GAH!!!
Gravity is a bitch to you, my friend.
...You're from Brazil?
*snicker*
There's nothing sexier in a woman than a willingness to body-slam herself.
Squirl: Love you, too! Glad to know my talent is just part of the family pool. ;)
Ortizzle: See, that's just it: I was precocious as a child, so perhaps this is just the universe paying me back now. :)
Nilbo: The laughing, well... I can't say as I blame you. I was laughing myself as I stood up and gave it the ol' gymnastics dismount, arms up.
Nick: Well y'know... some people just won't quit smoking? I'm not one of those. My vice is gravity.
Nina: The upstairs fall -- I seem to remember you mentioning that! ;)
Nilbo: LIAH! That's why I had to make him go away.
Mo/Dis: Hola amiga. ;)
Sir: Uh, yeah... that's what I thought, so I figured, "What better way to prove it?" Welcome, Sir.
Happy Easter Eclectic!
Happy Easter, Sunshine! :)
Happy Easter!
Post a Comment
<< Home