Sunday, March 09, 2008

Moving to Arizona...

Today we begin "daylight saving." I H.A.T.E. daylight saving.

For one, because there is precisely as much daylight today as there would have been if we had left the clocks alone, it's just that now I have to change all my clocks and the daylight we have simply arrives at a different hour.

For another, I love sleep. Daylight saving time means one hour less sleep. So not fair.

For a third, it was just finally beginning to get light earlier so I could ride my bike to work at 5:00. Now, it's dark again.

Grrrrrrr.

Pick a time, any time... standard or daylight, I don't really care. Just please, PLEASE stop messing with it!

30 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger mama biscuit said...

I don't care what you say, you can't rain on my springing forward parade, ya big grumpasaurus

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

TG: Why, yes I am a Grumpasaurus, and thanks for noticing! Losing an hour of sleep will do that, y'know!!! Can't we just spring forward and leave the clocks out of it??

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Mad William said...

This is the only thing I like about Arizona. They got the time right.

All hail Grumpasauruses!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

*enjoys the Scorpions tune "Arizona" and thinks that probably really is "outta sight"*

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

MW: Is the plural form maybe, "Grumpasaurii"? You have a little boy, so I expect you to be the expert on dinos of all stripes.

Bloggy: Scorpions are grumpy, too.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger scott said...

I hate it too. I wish they would ask our opinion about these things before they do them. "Have we checked with Scott and/or shari yet?"

The world would be SO MUCH better.

Hello, shari.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger scott said...

I'm just adding this comment because I forgot to check the "email follow-up comments" checkbox.

Hello again.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger jenny said...

Daylight Savings Time is for losers. I refuse to acknowledge it.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Curtis said...

Mark and I were JUST talking about this at supper and we have the same feelings about it as you.

Who ever thought this was a good idea and why do we keep doing it?!?

We aren't even in sync with the rest of the planet. They change the clocks in three weeks!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Scott: I KNOW! I have all the answers, but no one asks!!! Boggles the mind. Hello, Scott.

Jenny: ABSOLUTELY! Down with DST!!!

Curtis: I have NO idea why we persist. Perhaps we should begin an uprising? Civil Disobedience like Jenny suggests. I'm keeping standard time until they change it back.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the SAME way! I wish they would just pick one already and leave it the heck alone!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger chia said...

I'm just glad the clock in my car is now finally right :-)

*hugz*

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Sharkey said...

Sorry--can't get on the bandwagon with you for this one. I love me some DST. But I don't often rise before 7:30, even on a school day, so that could explain it.

Hawaii also stays on standard time year-round!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

But just think of all the energy you are saving by not riding your bike to work.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amen. Stoopid changing the clocks thing.

I am totally looking forward to the falling back in a few months.

*wishes I could move to Arizona... or Hawaii*

(are you still grumpy today? I seem to be...)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Nilbo said...

I find if I sleep till noon or so on the first couple of days of DST, I barely even notice the effects. Other than the grumpy, whiney people around me, of course.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger mama biscuit said...

I totally knew Sharkey would have my back!

It's not that I like the flopping back and forth. I'd be all for picking one or the other and sticking with it (as long as it was DST). But since that doesn't seem to be an option I'm going to go right doing my "I love springing forward" dance.

So there, all you grumpasaurii need to go to your rooms (not together) and don't come out until you can be nice.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger The Q said...

I feel your pain you early rising grumpasaurus, but I'm on the DST Happy Dancing Brigade. I LOVE being able to get home from work, do whatever crap needs to be done around the house AND still have a tiny bit a day light to which to enjoy before it's night fall.

It's WONDERFUL and makes me less of a grumpasaurus myself.

So I guess all it equal in the universe, when one grumpasaurus fades another awakens ;-)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

AND ANOTHER THING!!

Getting the kids to bed when it's lighter outside can be like pulling teeth. I don't like that.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger limpy99 said...

Daylight Savings Time sucks. Our kids have turned into grumbling mutants in the morning. I solve the problem by sleeping until 10. Or is it 11? 9? I give up.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

I don't like it either. It sucks.

Time for some LOL-saurus:
I is teh grumpasaurus. I's gonna be oil sumday. *rawr*

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I hate DST, too. Where I live used to be in Central time. Somewhere along the line they decided that all of the state should be in the Eastern time zone. So the sun doesn't rise now until almost 8 am. Just stoopid. By the summer soltice it doesn't get dark until almost 11 pm. Just sucks when you need to be asleep long before 10 pm.

So I think I have a right to be a grumpasaurus. :-)

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger ~Tim said...

There must be a really strong union of people that make their living going around changing clocks twice a year. None of the rest of us seem to gain anything by these time changes. I'm with you -- pick a time and leave it alone. [How much sense does it make that we are on "standard time" now for a little more than a third of the year?]

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Twinnie! I thought of you as I drove to work today in near darkness again! Grrr...

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger matt said...

Yeah... I hate daylight savings time. Back to more runs in the dark... grr.

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

How about China? They only (officially) have Beijing time. The eastern parts of the country, for non-government stuff, just go by the sun...so at dawn, it might be noon at the post office. (I don't think they open that early!)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Traci: PREEEEch it, Twinnie!

Chia: Dammit, there's a clock in the car, too?!

Shawkey: HAWAII it is!!!

William: Well, there's that...

CK: YES! (Why do you ask, does it show?)

Nilbo: Ah, to be a free-lance creative-type...

TG: I know, I know... there's nothing I can do about it so I may as well get used to it. PLUS, you sent me to my room?? Sheesh, are you sure you're not my mom? ;)

Q: Fine. For you, I will be happy. (Because otherwise you might tell the world of my inability to read plain English.)

CK: YES! Think of the children!!

Limpy: It was unbearable Monday morning. Gah! But I don't have Short-timer's Syndrome like you, and I can't amble into work at 10, 11, or whatever the hell time it is now. *sigh*

MoDis: OK, at least I'm not fossilized yet, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice. ;)

Squirl: I KNOW! Makes me wish for the old agrarian way of life sometimes... up with the sun and in bed just after sunset.

~Tim: Standard -- Not. Hi!

Traci: See? That's what I'm sayin'!

Matt: Exactly. I KNEW you'd understand!

Kcinnova: Hi! Welcome!! No wonder China is taking over the world!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

'Zactly! The children! I, er, THEY need their rest!!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

I understand what you're sayin but...I love that it stays light outside longer in the evenings now. Love you though! :)

A.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Ortizzle said...

How funny, I just posted about this. My problem is less the hour lost (always hateful), and more setting all the damn clocks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home