Thursday, March 16, 2006

Middle School Mid-Year Concert

The rythmic "one...two...three...four, one...two...three...four," was occasionally -- melodically -- interrupted by his high, sweet "five... six... seven... eight... nine... ten... beleven... twelth..." On my lap, his little feet kept perfect rhythm first with the band, then the choir, as he softly repeated "one...two...three...four..." until habit forced him into the higher numbers. The scent of his bath lingered in his baby hair, causing me to gather him ever closer for a snuggle. He snuggled back.

They looked so uncomfortable in their various vests, skirts, ill-fitting trousers and unfamiliar shoes. A few strode confidently to their places, gawking with the bravado of 6th grade at the parents assembled before them. The nervous smiles, awkward hand gestures, the figdeting and faltering -- it was all familiar to me. But I saw in her eyes the silent certainty, the knowing. She was on firm ground here and this was no big deal. Later she would tell me of the snide remarks made by lesser-talented, larger-mouthed 'friends', but in that moment she was serene and poised.

I couldn't tell you what musical pieces were featured, but it will remain one of the most memorable performances I've ever attended.






***

(Sidenote: I'm gone tomorrow, but back on the weekend. Blove to you all!)

24 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way our kids can captivate us, we can block out everything except them...its magical.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

But we ...want photos!

Darn it, she's gone.

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, no photos?

Of course, a photo couldn't have captured the emotion the way your words do. And who can think about taking pictures when they have a snuggling toddler in their lap?

Hope you're out having fun and not being forced to work at the lemonade stand today.

 
At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just looking at a pic of my girlies this morning and thought the same thing as lawbrat... my daughters captivate me and it is quite magical. I've been to many 6th grade performances and they are all wonderful. I love the snuggly time with the "baby". Peace.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Nina said...

Be still my heart, your words are beautiful . . . they made me wish I was there. My days of concerts are over for now . . . someday I will go and watch my grandkids.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger zuhn said...

"beleven" *chuckle*

I don't like children, but I like yours.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger The Q said...

I had to laugh at Zuhn's comment...oh how many times I've said the very same thing (but not always with the "but I like yours" part). Actually I do add that part more now as I guess I'm seeing what children really DO have to offer...NO my Niece did NOT cause me to see the light *cough*

Of course your daughter did fine...she's talented...that ALWAYS helps (and can occassionally make others jealous). I have no doubt she'll do really well in every thing that she does.

Take care of yourself Eclectic. There's a big ole HUG and eyeball* lick with your name on it in CA when things settle down for you.

*that would be from Moto, not me :-)

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely moment for you. 'Probably something I will never experience, as my children have different ... um ... strengths and energies, let's say.

zuhn, you made ME chuckle.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Kranki said...

A star is born!

What a sweet post. I love to watch those things. The kids look like they have worked so hard. Very endearing.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

What lovely writing. It doesn't surprise me any that she's talented. Just look at her mother.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Lawbrat: Magical indeed. May it ever be so.

Bloggy: Hmmm... I think this means my packaging sucks. Gaaah! I hope those guys over at YPS!! don't get ahold of it.

Sharkey: See, that's exactly what happened! The three-year-old kling-on in my lap prevented me from twisting to retrieve the camera out from under the stadium seating bench where I had stashed it. But next time, I'll plan better.

Traci: Amazing thing, isn't it? Peace back, my friend. It's good to see you here. I've been thinking of you.

Nina: Aw Nina, I knew you'd have a kindred spirit on this one. You can always come out here and watch ours until those grandbabies are ready!

Zuhn: I think that's the nicest compliment I've ever received! Wait... did I just make you switch teams?? ;)

Sooze: It would require a concrete heart to remain unmoved in the presence of Ms. Sydney's light-up-the-world little smile! Tell Moto thanks for the eyeball lick. There's a cookie in it for him when I come to collect my hug.

Peefer: Zuhn'll do that to a person. It WAS a lovely moment, and you will have more than your fair share of them even, if in different arenas.

v Kranki: Endearing is a good description. What the production lacked in terms of musical integrity, it more than made up for in sheer enthusiasm.

Squirlie: When I was adopted into your talented family, I knew I had to make the grade! Thank you for those very sweet words.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

No worries. Those guys are way too slow to catch on.










Doh!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

Sounds like you had the best time ever! :o)

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

Switch teams? Nah, I'm more of a spectator :)

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

I never could stand much to be around little kids when I was younger, but the older I get, the more amusing I find the critters.

Except bratty kids. They've never gotten cuter. I just now understand that it's not okay to threaten them with flying monkeys.

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, how cute is that?! We need photos now.

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooops. That was me. I'm not anon!

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

This makes me want to have kids. They way you describe:
The scent of his bath lingered in his baby hair, causing me to gather him ever closer for a snuggle. He snuggled back.
So sweet. Hope you enjoyed! Best wishes!
Bandit Talks

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Opera Gal said...

thanks for stopping by!! Hampson actually told a very funny story about Walla Walla in the interview I did with him - send me your snail mail and I'll send a copy.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awwww...that was sweet. Clumsy, off-key, confused and absolutely delightful.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

Eclectic yuo have such a nice way about you and you words.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh! Eclectic! I love that post!

Here! Have some peanut butter kisses! I've got a whole bag...

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Love the concerts, and you are bang on about the ill fitting clothes, so cute.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Nina said...

So you won't be suprised when I am on your porch for the next concert. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home