The Difference
My friend turned 50 today. A landmark of sorts, wouldn't you say? And yet, perhaps the most significant thing is what he said to me while the day was still young: "It seems silly to attach meaning to numbers like these. The difference between yesterday and today is simply one day."
My friend is wise.
It got me thinking. The difference between elation and despair is often traceable to a matter of minutes. The minutes before a particular phone call. Or immediately following completion of your tax return. The difference between them is simply a minute, or a day. Our lives are woven and cashed in the currency of minutes and days. With no guarantee of how many you'll get.
So don't waste the ones you have. Cheers!

14 Comments:
Cheers indeed, Eclectic darlin'! *clink*.
Here's to happier days!
i'll drink to that :)
hope you have a great weekend :)
Very good advice...so true. Thanks! I need that!
Your friend is wise....and so are you. Nothing in life should ever be taken for granted. Live it all the way....everyday. I've always had a great fear of regret, so I try to take full advantage of time spent with everyone in my life. Thanks for the reminder.
Angie
Hear, hear! You have a very wise friend, and I have a very wise blogfriend.
Happy Saturday!
See how wise YOU are? I would have taken his comment and thouhgt "Hmmm, he's right" and then thought about whether or not the dog actually ATE the AA battery or just chewed on it.
You however, took his comment and made it even more meaningful.
AND you share it with us!!!
Have a good weekend!
Eclectic
lurker from Debutaunts, your friend is so wise. I will be turning the big 50 in Jan. I wasn't dwelling on it, but, I sure wasn't looking forward to it either. I'm taking a page from your friends book; now i really don't care and i will enjoy each day. thanks for sharing
Nancy
When I turned 40 everyone ask me how I felt. Since just four months before that I had a massive heart attack. My response was who cares, I am still here. 40 didn't bother me, I doubt that four years from now 50 will either . . . and who knows and God willing I won't let 60 bother me either. :)
Your friend is wise and so are you my dear eclectic . . . don't forget that.
Age really is just a number. I have an aunt who completely freaked out when she turned 20 for heaven's sake! Now she is closing in on 60 and thinks nobody knows how old she is. If you ask her, she'll tell you to go to hell etc, etc. My boss asked how old I was and when I told him 40, his chin about hit the floor! He said I've aged well! Of course that means I don't look 40 BUT I also think it has something to do with how we view our years. If we dread them or look forward to them. You have a wise friend my dear and it's obvious you have plenty of wisdom in your own right as well. I am blessed to know you.
Very wise words. You know, if we're not getting older, then we're dead. So celebrate each day!
I just love you.
Wait just a minute! What the heck is wrong with gnomes?!
*covers The Gnome's ears*
Oh boy! You are right on with this. VERY right on. This is a good reminder for me.
Oh so true!
:oD
Post a Comment
<< Home