Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hmmmm....

Each day we carve away another big or little piece of who and what we've been, and in doing so, reveal another big or little piece of who and what we're going to be. It's funny. It's simple. It's incredibly difficult.

Sometimes I barely survive a day. Sometimes I kick the day's ass. Some days I nearly miss altogether for the maelstrom of activities rapidly swirling around me. Some days meander slowly past, dragging me -- resistant -- along behind them.

If I were to fully embrace the idea that life doesn't just happen, and live more deliberately each and every day, I could perhaps more artfully design my daily carving. Or is that the wrong take altogether? Instead of intending more, would it be easier or better in some way to let go and merely ride the waves as they come? Let the tides do my carving for me?

I don't know. Do you?

9 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

I think it's a matter of knowing what you can control and how to cope with the things that are out of your grasp.

The hard part is knowing which is which.

I love the way you write. :)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good or bad, I'm more of a " wave rider" myself.

100% agree with M.D.....you're an amazing writer. : )

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Susie said...

As a matter of fact, I do. But I ain't tellin'.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger camo said...

I think it's a combination of things. Some we can control and some we cannot. In the end, we can always control how we react to everything so perhaps...it's learning how to choose deliberately and live more joyously within the choices we make. But then, what the hell do I know? Love you Twinnie!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Mad William said...

I have always been a big fan of drifting. Relaxing and enjoying the view. Paddling when needed.

Although considering...I may not be the best example lately.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

See now is life a pieces of granite that needs to be cheseled and chipped to revela the statue? Or is it a piece of clay that needs to be carressed and molded?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger matt said...

I'm admittedly more of a ride the waves kind of person. But I'll certainly go looking for a good beach, if we can carry the metaphor that far.

And I'd argue clay as opposed to granite.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Puddle stompers from Nordstrom. Target has some much cheaper and just as cool, IMO.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have NO idea. Maybe I'll be deliberate some days, and just floating along the others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home