Monday, December 27, 2010

Ho, Ho... Hum

This week, my sister Susie is hosting a holiday open house, and if you're visiting me because of it, the first thing I should do is apologize for the mess. I haven't been home here for a long time and it's all dusty and cobwebby... sorry.

The second thing I should do is apologize for the lack of touching holiday photos. I am completely to blame. But I ask you, did you ever take your camera with you to events you consider important to photograph, and then never even pull the camera out until you returned home and remembered you forgot to take any pictures? Or, when watching your children unwrap their Christmas gifts, did you ever get so involved in their enjoyment that you simply didn't reach across the desk to grab the camera?

No? It's just me? *sigh* I was afraid of that.

Instead, I give you a couple of really lousy snapshots I took on the fly; one while we were baking and decorating our annual chocolate-peppermint cookies:



and the others on Christmas Day itself while we were getting ready to go skiing:



(Notice the complete absence of holiday cheer and/or enthusiasm in each and every snapshot. This, I prefer to believe, is merely poor photography.)



Despite my best intentions, I did NOT manage to take the camera out of my coat pocket even once while we were actually on the slopes, though I DID dutifully carry the camera both days. I'm an optimist, obviously.

And hey, isn't optimism the very hallmark of the holidays??

Anyway, I hope you've all enjoyed (and photographed!) your holiday experiences & traditions, whatever they may be. And in the New Year ahead, I hope that your men are strong & handsome, your women intelligent & beautiful, and your children all above average.

(Apologies to Prairie Home Companion for the paraphrased plagiarism.)

14 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

I think I may have taken even less holiday photos. At first I was all BUT WHAT ABOUT THE INTERNET'S RIGHT TO MY PRIVACY??? but then I was all scotch whisky mmmm.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

B: Whatever... I saw your family photo! (The scotch does provide compelling explanation for your 'honesty' come to think of it.)

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Dave2 said...

Oh sure... go ahead and make your delicious chocolate peppermint cookies and don't invite anybody over for a taste.

Hope YOUR cookie-infused holidays were happy.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Dave: Do you know how many chocolate squares were sacrificed to make those cookies? And the peppermint leaves that laid down their lives? These are violent cookies, my friend.

That said, I still have some, and I'll bring 'em to you if you want!

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I took about as many holiday photographs as you did, with equivalent enthusiasm. (The kids faked it nicely for the required shot in front of the tree.)
And when everyone was beautifully dressed up for Christmas Eve church services -- all 5 guys in ties, no less! -- I never even though to pull out the camera.

But wait, you had chocolate peppermint cookies?!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Kristiana said...

i thought you were supposed to photograph everything so you could someday see it all for the first time... someday...

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger zuhn said...

e? Where happened to that tiny little kid you had? Last I remember you have a toddler.

Happy New Year! You are missed.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

KC: Cookies!! Wait, what were we talking about?

Kristiana: Well yeah... it's right there in the Mommy Rules. But obviously, I've broken too many for them to still apply to me. ;)

Zuhn: Thanks -- you too! As for the kid, I think it's the food. If I just quit feeding him, maybe he'll stop the growing?

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I took not one picture. Not even one.

You're selling yourself short as a photographer, BTW. The action shot of your daughter's braids (name withheld to protect to redheaded) and the boy's ennui was impressive. Isn't he still too young for ennui?

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

Skiing on Christmas sounds like fun and I dont ski. The lack of fun and enthusiam on everyones face is funny.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Hi, friend! Guess what.....I'm getting married. Guess when......sometime this summer. Guess where......PACNW! Hope I can see you!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger limpy99 said...

WHERE ARE MY PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!?!?!?!!?

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Sir: Aaaaaaaaand... someone's looking for an A in vocab, isn't he? But thanks for the praise -- that braid didn't just photograph itself. ;)

Bill: You don't ski? That's just sad, because you'd have great stories to tell, and you'd tell them well. I think you owe it to your blog readership to take up skiing. ;)

Jess: You wouldn't kid me about that, would you? How WONDERFUL!! I will leap tall buildings to get to see you, if needed!

Limpy: I don't know. Where did you leave them?

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Iron Fist said...

I simply demand to know what the Eclectic family is up to now that it's 2011.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home