Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Here's looking at you, kid.

Ever want to laugh? OK, the first thing you need is a 14 year old daughter with a camera. Next, you'll need her to download a year's worth of photos from her camera onto your computer. Then, have her tell you (unprompted) to go ahead and browse. From a hilarious collage of arms-length self-portraits, to sneak attacks on unsuspecting family members and pets, to groups of friends being goofy, it was an hour of belly laughs. It was also a beautiful and sacred invitation into her mind, what she finds interesting, what she sees when she looks at the world around her. I hope I never forget this day.
















(All photos herein courtesy of Young Lady Eclectic)

23 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger The Q said...

What cool shots! She's got quite the eye.

I love the (almost) complete family shot (too bad a passerby, assuming there were any, couldn't have taken it so she could have been in the picture too though)! Oh and I want your arms. *sigh*

That shot of G with Sapphira is just too cute!!

And I love, LOVE the sideways reflection shot. AWESOME!!!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Nina said...

Wow, I love them all, I'm glad she feel safe to let you in. :)

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Sharkey said...

YLE definitely has an eye! It must've been lots of fun looking through all of them.

I was hoping to see the Briz-man, though.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Q: Thank you! There were no passers-by that day, but then, we didn't really expect any. That lake is pretty far out there. We tried to talk her out of the 'family' photo, but she insisted it was the one thing she wanted from that hike.

Nina: That's what makes me glad too. But then, of course you would understand that. :)

Shawkey: There are TONS of Brizzy photos on her camera! Maybe she'll let me post them on my spiffy new flickr account.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Kranki said...

That is very cool in so many ways.

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Oh sure. Sell up the "arms-length self-portraits" but don't post them.

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger mama biscuit said...

Face it chicky, the fact that she invited you into her private world speaks volumes about the kind of parent you are!

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

That is very interesting. Both the photos and the looking into the mind part.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very, very cool. Great pictures!

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger jenny said...

Really great photos! And how adorable are you in pigtails? Too adorable!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

I think that is absolutely wonderful.

*a huge fan of arms-length self-portraits* :P

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger limpy99 said...

Nice knee brace.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great pics and I would be willing to bet that you won't forget it. :)

A.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Mad William said...

Those are great. Make sure she always has a camera.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Wow! How nice that she let you look. The family pics are sweet. Love the others too.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger ~Tim said...

Very cool. She has a great eye.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger matt said...

They're gorgeous. I think the last one's my favorite.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

Hey, girl!
It was awesome seeing you at the grocery store today.
You asked me about the new puppy, so here is a link if you would like to see him.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/2300816381_1f278a7342.jpg?v=0

xxx

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger Nilbo said...

Love the pics! Who's the teenaged girl with the knee brace?

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Lovely experience and photos!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Ortizzle said...

She not only has an "eye" for photography, she instinctively knows a lot about composition and balance. Tell her to go out an play with an SLR on manual settings. :-)

By the way, is that the Loch Ness Monster rising from the lake in the background of the family photo?!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Kranki: Thanks -- I think so. :)

Bloggy: She declined permission to post them. Too bad for you -- they're hilarious!

TG: Aren't you sweet? Wait, where's the smartass I know and love?! ;)

William: I know -- the window into her world makes the photos that much more interesting to me.

CK: Thanks! :)

Jenny: They're braids. I'm much too old and dignified for pigtails...

Mo/Dis: (I think so too!)

Limpy: What, this old brace? I keep thinking I should get a new one, but... you really like it?

Angie: You are right, as usual...!

MW: Yessir. Probably need to get her something non-automatic, eh?

Squirl: See that's the part I love, too... that she wanted me to see them.

Tim: Hi! And thanks!

Matt: Mine too. Stuart Lake, Enchantment Range of the Cascades.

Mo/Dis: Awwww... lookit the puppy!!

Nilbo: Ha.

HTGT: Yes, I think so. Thanks!

Ortizzle: Thank you for saying so! We've considered getting her a "real" camera -- perhaps we should revisit the issue.

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger matt said...

Stuart Lake... adding that to my list of places to hike. This list just keeps getting longer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home