Hospitality
We invited friends we'd met at the gym over for a barbecue. They accepted, and it was today. Funny thing, though, when cultures overlap. See, they're from El Salvador and Mexico. We're from here. When we invited them, we assumed we'd provide the main course(s), and if they offered, we'd allow them to bring a side dish of some sort or maybe beverages. That's our culture. When they accepted the invitation, they felt responsible to provide the main course(s), beverages and the dessert. That's their culture.
So, they arrived with carne asada, tortillas, rice and beans, fresh homemade salsa, beer, and a gorgeous cake from their bakery that really looked too pretty to eat! (We ate it anyway, and it's a good thing too, since it was far too delicious NOT to eat!) They insisted that we keep everything they brought, and we ended the evening with more food in the house than we planned to have even before anybody ate anything.
We laughed over cultural gaps, language gaffs, and the universal truths of being human. We had a wonderful evening. And learned that hospitality is a much broader word than we had known.

28 Comments:
Note to self: Invite Mexican people over for dinner.
Note to self: Continue to ignore the Mexican people next door.
JDR: We had a really, really nice evening, and the food was fantastic!!
Bloggy: Why, Bloggy I'm shocked! You're joking, right?
Nope. I avoid all my neighbors.
Note to self: Do not move next to Mr. Bloggerific.
Word has it that there is a covert plot to see the other neighbor's frog statue.
Admit sister, you just invited the Mexicans over on the theory that they'd show up with tequila.
Very cool, E!!!
I understand, Bloggy, though. I really, really do.
Yum! I am STARVING now!
Sounds like a great time.
xxoo
Shelly
Bloggy: But not me, right? RIGHT?? HEY BLOGGY, YOU THERE??? BLOGGY? BLOGGY!!!!!!!!!!! Damn. I guess you DO.
William: I know, huh? I hate being ignored. In many ways, I am three years old. ;)
Bone: Aha!! I knew it!!!
Limpy: Oh, did I forget to mention Senor Patron? Silly of me. He was there, too, of course.
Lynn: It was very cool. Thanks honey! But no one really understands Bloggy -- he likes it that way. ;)
Shelly: I'm sayin'!!! The leftovers are awesome! xoxo
Note to self: Send William address to the house across the street that may be up for sale now that "Old Lady and dog" have moved.
*Is good neighbor. Never bothers anyone, much less talks to them.*
Bloggy: Ooooh, that's it. Next time I move to Owensboro, I'm taking the house RIGHT NEXT to yours. In fact, every house that borders yours! I'm going to include you in everything we do!! Well... okay, not everything. But you won't be able to ignore me. :)
How do I go about contacting these people and inviting them to dinner? Because, damn, that sounds good!
Shawkey: Tell ya what... you and JP get yourselves out here for a visit, and I'll hook us up with another barbecue!
Someday, that frog will have a new place of residence.
I want some mexican neighbors! I wat some mexican neighbors! Please, please, please, with a cherry on top can I have some mexican neighbors?!
Damn... now I *really* wish you lived closer... ;)
Note to self: Absolutely move next to Mr. Bloggerific.
Just think of all the fun we could have while he tried to ignore the circus...
Sounds like a wonderful evening. I love dealing with a language barrier because so many funny things happen.
Sounds like it was fun. No one could be accused of being rude, or trying to use the other.
Along with the cultural learnings, it sounds as if you had quite a feast!
Food unites. It may in fact be the one thing that saves the world.
Glad for you, E! Gotta love sitting and sharing food and stories. It's what it's all about.
I'm with Bloggerific on the ignoring neighbors thing. However, this made me reconsider. This was nice.
Note to self: Move in next door to your Mexican therapist next time.
Hi, Shari! I thoroughly enjoyed the comments here, and I wish I had me some Mexican. Food, that is.
Goodness, I need more culture. Mexican restaurants in England actually serve gormet fish.
Seriously.
I miss you guys :-*
Bone: It's good to dream. ;)
Traci: Um, yep. You can. But you can't have mine. Unless you move here, and then? You totally can!
CK: Let's move to Owensboro and surround him. Between the short attention span and the circus, he'll never be able to ignore us, plus, we'll live closer!!
Kranki: Exactly! Of course, you have to have a sense of humor or it could be frustrating.
Squirl: Nope. Just good fun, and generosity on all sides.
Nick: For DAYS! It was awesome.
Peefer: Amen. Of course, I'd vote for nearly anyone who'd bring dinner over, as long as it was good and accompanied by fine wine.
Amy: This is what I'm sayin'! Wanna hangout?
Kalki: Yeah, but if I were your neighbor, you'd come out to play, right?!
Susie: So what I hear you saying is that you will move, with Circus Kelli and me, to houses surrounding Mr. Bloggerific, who will by then have become a Mexican therapist. Sounds great to me! ;)
ChiaCat: Um... why are you in England?!?! And NOW how am I going to see you when I make my trip to the midwest?!?!
Well.... I'm married to a Mexican. And he doesn't cook. I would probably have come over with a dessert and a side dish, like frijoes and flan. With some Negra Modelo or Bohemia beer on the side. The Mexican people we associate with here would probably have done the same. I don't know anyone who would have brought the entire dinner, although hispanics are very family-community minded. Any social occasion is an excuse to eat, and there's always a few tortillas and some frijoles "lying around," in my house anyway. Just in case the neighbors drop in, LOL.
Post a Comment
<< Home