The party of the first part...
...and Tenant shall have all rights and appurtenances thereto until such time as the Term shall expire pursuant to section II(d) of that certain Addendum to Lease Agreement, dated ________, in reference to that certain Lease Agreement dated _________, attached hereto respectively as Exhibit A and Exhibit B, and hereby specifically incorporated by this reference...blah, blah, blahbity, blah, blah...
And I wonder why my creative writing ability has tapered? 15+ years as a lawyer, reading, interpreting and preparing scintillating documents such as this has -- not surprisingly -- quashed the creativity I once possessed.
Never have I subscribed to the theory that you are what you do, choosing to believe instead that identity is far more personal and complex than the mere occupation(s) with which one fills the hours. Nonetheless, the choice of how to spend your time is one which can both reveal aspects of your identity, as well as influence who you will become. The lines between who you might be and who you've become begin to blur sometime in your 30s, with a little less emphasis on the "might be". All the talent and ability in the world will lay fallow if you don't pursue the avenues to exploit them, leaving open the question of whether the scorned talent remains a measure of who you are.
And who is the party of the first part? Any relation to the party of the second? Where is the line between? Is it bright, or hazy? Can you not be both, and if not, which shall you choose; or how will you know when the choice is no longer yours?
Talk to me friends. Tell me who I am. Tell me, who are you?

24 Comments:
Ummmm.... ok.
Put both parties together and give them a bottle of vodka. That'll work.
Party? Where's the party?
My little non-lawyer head exploded at "appurtenances", but I will try to muster up a coherent comment. First of all, if what you have written over the years on your blog is evidence that your creative writing ability has tapered, I call for a mistrial. The evidence has obviously been tampered. (Did you see that? See what watching Law&Order reruns has done to me?)
I certainly cannot tell you who you are - but I don't think that's what you were asking anyways. To me, you're my rock in blogland. As for me, I'm just this girl.
JDR: HA!!!!! Sold! I think it's a very good idea. ;)
Zuhn: Law&Order's got nothing on you, girl! And to me, you're part of the reason I blog.
Good one, Zuhn! E, your writing is very creative, very well-written, and extremely entertaining.
You're smart, you're fun, you're zany! And this is why I love you.
:-)
Yes, E, we are more than what we do. Even so, I am stuck with an unpleasant eviction that I need to handle and... I wish you lived near me. I hate evictions. They're so unpleasant.
Shaaa-rreee,
Shari baa-yaa-bee
Shar-ar-ree
Shari baby...
You are FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. That's all I need to know.
Squirl: Nah, you just love me because I'm your sister. ;) I love you, too.
Lynn: Evictions are nasty business, and time consuming as well. Good luck sweetie -- you can email me with any questions, I'll help if I can.
CK: How do you always know how to make me grin like an idiot?!?! Thanks love.
...and Tenant shall have all rights and appurtenances thereto until such time as the Term shall expire pursuant to section II(d) of that certain Addendum to Lease Agreement, dated ________, in reference to that certain Lease Agreement dated _________, attached hereto respectively as Exhibit A and Exhibit B, and hereby specifically incorporated by this reference...
um, what? i think i must be the most useless lawyer in history.
Was this post meant to confuse?
All I can see in this post is "party" "party" "party" - I'm sure it's meant as a noun, but I choose to turn it into a verb. A command, even.
"But Officer, I HAD to drink that bottle of wine - Eclectic TOLD me to!"
I'm with Bucky..."uh, yes sir, officer, my lawyer told me to throw this party and who am I to question her? The car's not moving sir, so it's not like I'm drunk driving officer. Wanna party?"
I know, I know! You're Roger Daltry?!!
Whoooooo, are you, are you, are you
So, tell me who are YOU?!
I really wanna know!
Kat: I'm just so excited to see you use upper case letters... oh, were you sayiing something?
William: No Bill, only you. ;)
Bucky: As usual, you've ruined the curve for everyone else in the class by scoring a perfect 100% on this little test. Party on, Garth.
Traci: I think you should give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? ;)
Bloggy: WHOOOOOO are you? Who? Who? Who, Who??
I am imminence front. It’s a put on, put on, put on…
The party of the first part is the cousin of the party of the second part. They live in a small hamlet in Appalachia and are, ipso facto, common-law husband and wife. They have two kids, Party of the Third Part, who is a bit slow on the uptake but plays a mean-ass banjo, and Party of the Fourth Part, who is in advanced placement math classes because she learned to count to twenty one particularly warm spring day when she came to class sans shoes.
They lease a small yet flithy tumble-down shack at the far end of the holler. It came with several appurtenances, most importantly a revenue-generating still, and a trout pond created by the coal-mine's waste-water dam.
So that's who they are. Who you are depends on whether or not you laughed at this horrifically insensitive response.
And me? Well, I'm the guy who wrote it.
Who are you? You, my friend, are an amazing woman whose writing makes me think and touches my heart more than anyone I read on the blogs.
....and in real life? You are as cool as they come!!! You're a gift to everyone who knows you. That's who you are.
Bloggy: Quit putting me on, man.
Limpy: So, you got a '73 Buick in yer front yard to go with that party? "Insensitive"... wait, isn't that just a synonym for "lawyer"? ;)
Shangie: You just made my whole day. Thank you -- really.
Well...you are a very loving person. Someone who cares about her friends and family. A warrior. Someone who can make me smile when all I want to do is find a place to go get drunk and cry. (hey, that rhymed!) You are accepting of peoples' quirks yet not afraid to put someone back in line. You are a proud mother of three, a loyal wife of one lucky son of a gun, and a mother to two furbabies who have no idea how good they have it. You are also a good writer. Yes, I mean that! If your creativity has been quashed, then you are pretty damn good. You are a rock star. The world needs more of you. That's who you are.
"Who are you?"
I come to visit your planet. It is very nice here and I stay for while. Earth is nice place to live.
:P
You are one of the finest writers I have ever encountered in the blog o'sphere. There are some of your posts that to this day I still reflect upon. So if that is a "tapered" ability to write creatively then I'd be scared to see your unbridled writing skills.
You're even better than your writing in person. You're incredibly intelligent, funny, kind, caring and when you smile it makes me smile.
Who am I?
A goober that is lucky enough to have you as a friend ;-)
You are awesome. You are the FIRST party and that's it ;).
You know who I am? I am the person who judges other people's resumes then hires them so that they can make way more than I do.
Um...I can't answer your questions because my brain liquified when I read that first paragraph.
I keep finding myself here to read your blog so I'd say that was physical evidence that you continue to ROCK!
You are a beatiful friend, full of kindness, compassion, and gentle words, a (wonderful, I'm sure) mother, a writer, a steadying rock for all of us wobbly bloggers around you.
That, and a party officer, who I believe just issued the command to go have some fun.
Your post cracked me up. Yesterday I drafted a hearing memo that had the sentence, "Wife's alarm for her daughter's safety appears to be one of litigious convenience rather than genuine parental concern." I realized it was the most brilliant creative writing I'd done in months, and that's....just...sad.
Post a Comment
<< Home