Monday, February 12, 2007

Pre-Valentine's Day Rant

What a wretched, wretched holiday!

OK, now before all you romantic-types get all hyperventilated, please understand I have nothing whatsoever against love, romance, overt gestures of affection or anything. In fact, I'm strongly in favor. But this holiday guts the romance out of romance. Do I want to give or receive flowers/candy/jewelry/misc. gifts, on THE EXACT SAME DAY that everyone else is giving and/or receiving such things, for the SOLE REASON that Hallmark decided that everyone should, and if you don't, you're a heel??

Oh goody... obligatory flowers. Thanks so much. Now at least I know you care about not looking like a heel. But to truly be romantic, wouldn't you pick a day where no one expected a romantic gesture? I mean, isn't the mere fact of the expectation the antithesis of romance? Scripted declarations of love?? Pfffft. Give me a break. Because really? Anyone with $2.50 can buy that script, complete with an envelope. Touching.

Gah! It's a no-win situation, because any token appears obligatory, no matter the sincerity of the giver. ***sigh*** But I don't wish to be a sodded heel, either.

So, as in years prior, I will purchase my scripted declaration, sign it with what will hopefully be a witty addendum, and deliver it to my beloved along with a token of my genuine affection (which is infuriatingly rendered meaningless by virtue of St. Valentine), and toss this accursed holiday into the trash bin for another year.

But not my valentine, I'm keeping him.

36 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger Sharkey said...

I have no doubt that your valentine's card will include a witty addendum. Witty is definitely one of your strong suits.

I'm not so into VD either, but it's not because of the Hallmark mandate. It's more about my utterly unsentimental nature. "Why'd you spend all that money on flowers? They're just going to die!" "A teddy bear--how nice! Now what the heck am I gonna do with it?"

I just don't see the need. Poor JP--he puts up with way more than any man should have to.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Shawkey: I think JP's a lucky dog, and I bet he thinks so too. But yeah, after a few years of marriage, what's the point? Let's save the money and take a vacation, or remodel the bathroom or something!!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Haha! Eeeclectic's got boy cooties!!

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger kat said...

this? will be the Worst. Valentine's Day. Ever.

guess that's what i get for actually looking forward to it this year.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Bloggy: Nuh-uh... YOU do. You're a boy afterall.

Kat: Cupid's a nasty little bugger sometimes, but there's always Grey Goose.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Susie said...

I love Valentine's Day. Some people need an occasion. It would be nice if no one did, but many do.
And Mr. E is HOT.
Happy Pre-Valentine's Day.
(You're hot, too, of course, but we all knew that.)

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

Are you also against making out on Valentines Day? My mom used to say something to the effect that it is day to tell those, that you may normally not tell, that you love them.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100%.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger The Q said...

OMG! Up until this picture I didn't *quite* realize how much your kids truly look IDENTICAL to you guys. I mean I could "see" you in them but seeing Mr. E's face fully (with minimal facial hair and no sunglasses), I see the final pieces of the puzzle. DANG! Such a good looking family, it's not fair.

Anyway, I don't *dig* V-day either. I give cards out and "I love you's" throughout the year. But of course, I'm a sheep and I do follow in line and give yet another card and "I love you" on the actual day as well.

*sigh*

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

I agree with you 100% on this holiday. We also acknowledge it in the way that you do , but isn't it REALLY what you do the other 364 days a year that lets your love know that you care about them. Something that you do out of the blue, the little stuff, the daily stuff.....that's what makes me happy and keeps our spark alive.

Angie

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger limpy99 said...

We agreed to skip it this year.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Curtis said...

The girls at work insist that their husbands have flowers delivered to the laboratory instead of home. I agree. It's not a competition!

Personally, I'd like a new set of screw drivers and perhaps a hammer.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Susie: Aww, then Happy Valentine's Day, pretty lady!! I don't want to take away anyone's occasion, or rain any any parade. I just get stuck in my own perspective sometimes.

Bill: Your mom's a smart lady. As for making out, there's no day I'm against THAT!

Traci: I'm sayin'. Glad I'm not alone!

Sooze: I know, huh? Everyone sees their coloring and assumes they look just like me, until they see Mr. E's face -- they look just like him. Oh, and "baaaaaa".

Angie: Exactly.

Limpy: By "skip it", I assume you mean skip the dinner-wine-gift part, and skip right to the dessert?

Curtis: Boys and your tools... ;)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kranki said...

Your hubby is very hunky....

Ahem! Ok, back to topic. I always thought that Valentine's Day was that one day you could, without shame or embarrassment, declare your affections for somebody who didn't know you thought of them in a romantic way. Not that I've ever actually done that or anything. Saying that, I give a card and a wee gift to my dad because he will always be my first valentine.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

I just might go straight for Mr. E. Is the invitation to WA still open?

Personally, I like purchasing and receiving purchased scripts anytime of the year.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Platypus said...

I will do what I always do on Valentines - curl up and hope to goodness it goes away soon. There's nothing like a holiday that's all about romance to make you feel utterly crap at being alone. That's not to say I hate the holiday - when I was not single I adored it - but tomorrow I'll spend the evening watching horror films and trying not to sniffle into my Chardonnay.

I hope all you couples have a fabulous day though. Even if it is a totally commercialised holiday it's always good to tell people that you love them.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Kranki: He is kinda cute, huh?

*ahem*

I love that you get a valentine for your dad!! My dad gave me a valentine every year, too. Always something I wanted or needed for school, or for some other thing I was involved in, but always with hand-delivered flowers with a hand-made card (even though he was a doctor with atrocious handwriting). I miss those valentines the very most.

Zuhn: HA! But, of course the invitation stands! And we'd love to have you here. I'll even buy you a scripted declaration. ;)

Platy: Aww now... don't sniffle in your wine, it's just a dumb holiday. And I hate it even more now, knowing it makes you sad. You're not really alone, though -- you have us, and we love you!!!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Mad William said...

There is a reason it's called VD.
Some things should not be shared.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Interesting conversation. I have been married for a million years, so perhaps I'm not qualified to make this comment, but I think of the day much broader than a romantic day. I think of the romance, but I also try to send stuff to people who aren't coupled, and to people who, as William's mom said, I don't always say "I love you" to. I think of it as a day set aside to celebrate love, all kinds of love. And yes, we should do that every day. But we don't. So I like having a day. Plus I would vote in favor of any day that involves gifts of chocolate.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Oh, and I don't know if this makes my "position" more or less sympathetic, but I do not like the boxed Valentine cards that all the children, including my own, insist upon taking to school by the dozens. I like (and until this year, I hosted a kids' party to create) old-fashioned, construction paper and paper doilies and glitter, etc., etc. home-made Valentines.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Mad William: Hi! How nice to see you!! Yes, please keep all VD to one's respective self. Please.

Susie: Well, when you put it like that, it's hard to vote against chocolate... and kids' craft parties, that's kinda fun. But I'm not such a good activity mom as you -- I buy the actuall chocolate bars packaged to be exchanged in class and let the kids write on those and hand 'em out. Do I get points for the chocolate at least? ;)

Help us all, Susie's over here talking about her position. Don't let Bill, Nilbo, or Bucky see THAT!

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Susie said...

It's my special Valentine's Day position ;)

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

Maybe Susie's VD position could change my mind about the holiday.

I've always found the obligatory nature of the holiday (i.e., forced romantic gestures) to be irritating.

This year, I'm having nothing to do with that Saint V. bastard. He can just suck my pucker!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Bone Machine said...

Instead of leaving a fiery bag of poo on a porch for Halloween, maybe it should be done on VD. It's much colder in mid-February and some folks might appreciate the heat, even if it was accompanied with the scent of burning excrement.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Susie: You may be required to elaborate further.

Bucky: I think we should get Susie to reveal more about her special position for the holiday. It could change the world, for all we know.

Meanwhile, I fear that St. VD would love nothing more than to suck your pucker, and frankly, with a name like "VD", I'd be worried if you let him.

BonMach: Well, hell, if that don't say "I love you", then I don't know what does.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Yeah, what's up with Susie's VDay position?

I ranted a bit over at Susie's place about cut flowers. The exorbitant price just floors me. One year Ichabod got me a rose bush that we planted in the yard, a few months later. Then, a few years ago, he bought me a lucky bamboo. He'll explain to you that it's not a bamboo and will go on for at least 15 minutes about the botanical information on it. That's one of the reasons I love him. ;)

That said, I have no problem going out for a scrumptious dinner on VDay. In fact, I looked up the menu online and already know what I'm ordering. :)

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Nina said...

Well since Dr. John birthday is today. I don't worry too much about VD. I do tell him do not buy me flowers because they jack the price up. Tomorrow you get flowers for half off. Some people do need a day to be reminded to show some love. The Valentine's day that meant the most in my life was in 6th grade. The boy who I had a crush on gave me a valentine. Of course he gave everyone else one too. But that didn't matter, I slept with it under my pillow for months.
I'll sit on the fence I can take it or leave it. I think it just means I'm getting old.
Nice picture of you and Mr. E ~ I love it.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Bone Machine said...

Hallmark and/or Harlequin would do themselves a favor to hire me.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Platypus said...

Having stated how much I hate today on a personal level, Happy Valentines to you, honey. I hope you're being spoiled rotten. :)

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Eclectic, you rock. I say bring me flowers out of the blue one day and that will mean way more to me than the bouquet you picked up because 'the wife'll flip if I forget.'

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

AMEN to that!

I'm on the hiiighway to Heel!
I'm going doooown!
*air guitar*

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Squirl: You can't just leave us hanging like that... What are you ordering?!?!?! Have some wine for me, ok?

Miss PerkyButt: Thanks! Of course, you can't tell about how perky I am or not because I'm sitting down. YOUR pictures, on the other hand, well... 'nuff said. ;) Happy John's Birthday!

BonMach: They really would. Have you submitted your application? I'm sure you'd enjoy your job...!

Platy: You're a generous soul!! If I am being honest with myself, just living the life I have is really being spoiled every day. So, I shouldn't complain much about silly holidays. Thank you for your kind wish!!

Mo/Dis: Aloha!! So glad you're back!! Y'know, I think I'll have some wine. Cheers!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Bone Machine said...

Not until the restraining order expires.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Spontaneity is so much better than obligatory! Happy V.D. (Valentine's Day), my dear Squirl!

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Why aren't you updating on my BlogLines and wasn't I at a new template earlier? Ok, clearly I need to be on drugs, because not taking drugs doesn't seem to be doing me any favours!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger lawbrat said...

I made it a point to tell Phil I did NOT want flowers or candy. He listened. If you knew Phil, thats not something he does well.

Our vacuum died, and dirty floors are my BIGGEST pet peeve. He went out and bought one for me, a very cool one. It was before V-day, but considered it a V-day gift. It wasent.

We went to visit his mom and step dad, they live near a shoe store I ADORE. He took me there and told me to pick out whatever pair I wanted. I found one that was reasonably priced- under 80. I saw a pair I just fell in love with. They were much more expensive- Ralph Lauren- and I showed him those. Never in a million years did I think he would spend that amount on a pair of shoes. He did. More than the amount was the fact that he always complains about the amount of shoes I already have.

They will last far longer than flowers or candy. Now, if I can get him do that 'just because', I'd be in heaven!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home