Thursday, February 15, 2007

Perseverance, or "Ode to a Tree"

Trees are amazing life-forms. You'll find them thriving in forests, jungles, backyards, parks, in tiny bonzai pots, on cruise ships, in shopping malls, amidst the crags of rocky mountains, along rivers, in swamps, and perhaps my favorite, springing from the remains of their own once-majestic trunks, now either severed by man or perhaps downed by flood or wind; at any rate, new life forges through the wreckage from whatever portion of the root that connects again with the soil.

The trees that live by defying prevailing winds. Those trees are remarkable. They give concrete form to the shape of those winds, their once-upward thrust bending and solidifying in the direction of the gale. Occasionally, a growth spurt will occur for a time unhindered by enough wind to alter the tree's inherent desire to grow toward the sun. You can see those days of respite in the straighter segments of the trunk.

We've had an unusually windy winter around here. Driving about town, you'll see upended root masses along nearly every street. Arborists are still trying to clear the debris from the fallen trees, most of which by now have been cut and quartered, to be reincarnated as firewood next fall. But what catches my eye are the tender green shoots now occasionally visible in the tangled roots -- not the weeds, but the tree's own anatomy, pressing again toward the sun with as much energy as it can muster.

These trees preach to me, and I love them.

15 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't have the words right now to properly express what this post means to me, E... but it's lovely.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

CK: That is a wonderful comment, thank you!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's terrible: each time I see a destroyed tree it is a if a part of me dies. I remember the 1974 tornadoes here in Louisville and the trees uprooted in Iroquois Park, which is near where I now live.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Nice metaphor for picking up the pieces of our own lives.

We had really bad straight-line winds a number of years ago here. The downing of trees was terrible. So sad.

Nick, I remember (vaguely) Iriquois Park. :)

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This is lovely. You ROCK my friend!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

SSNick: It is sobering, isn't it. But to me, it's also nothing short of inspiring.

Squirl: Metaphorically speaking...! ;) Thanks, sis!

Traci: No, YOU do! No, YOU do! Nuh-uh, YOU DO!!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Susie said...

This is beautiful. I was thinking treely yesterday, too. There's a little impudent, illegitimate tree in my front yard that I took some pix of. I haven't looked to see how they turned out yet, but I've wanted to write about that little guy for a while. You inspire me :)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Susie: Oooh, post pictures of your illegitimate family tree, please!!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

I recently drove to see the oldest living tree in Florida. it was only a few miles away and it was amazing. It was just a 3500 old tree,but amazing.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Keen observation, E. I can certainly appreciate it.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

You are an awesome writer. :o)

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Nina said...

Life is a powerful force . . . the struggle to survive are seen in every living thing. We learn so much from nature and when we get to the bare roots we realize we are just a part of it all. We are not above or below other living things just a part of.
Thanks for reminding me of the lessons the trees can teach. You said it so beautifully, as always. Love to you!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Bill: "just a 3500 year old tree..." That's remarkable! I can't believe I lived there for almost 4 years and never saw it. Maybe when we get there in April you can tip me where to go to find it -- my kids would dig that.

Lynn: Thanks, love. I think anyone who lives more than a few years will face something requiring perseverance, some more than others, sadly.

Mo-Dis: You are far too kind -- but I like it! Thanks, sweetie!

Nina: Absolutely! It is life that the trees make me aware of, you nailed it. Love to you, too!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Lovely post. Thank you.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Kranki said...

I love this post. I recently drove around Stanley Park which as decimated by the recent wind storms. Just heartbreaking but I know it will renew itself. Only time is needed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home