Thursday, November 09, 2006

Cleaning House

With a child home from school because of fever and a cough, I have an unexpected day to tackle projects that have been lingering around the house. One of them is the cubbies. Above the built-in desk in the kitchen/family room is a row of small divided spaces just below the cabinets. Because of the convenient location, the cubbies become a black hole into which all manner of life's detritus disappears; and from time to time, even people as tolerant of clutter as I become overwhelmed with the chaos. That time is today.

So far I've found: a nearly empty bottle of bubbles; mystery keys; a photo of a darling baby I cannot identify; shards of chewing gum still in its wrapper; slips of envelopes bearing addresses which I intend someday to enter into the address file; an untold number of miscellaneous hardware items; lens replacements for sunglasses none of us own; an unopened package of fishing bobbers though none of us spin-cast; and finally, the reason I had to stop and write.

I unearthed a card, from my husband to me, on the occasion of our anniversary a few years back. I typically don't save such things. In fact, I was tossing it into the recycling pile when it fell open and caught my eye. What I read is reprinted here:

"Happy Anniversary to my one true love and my very best friend. You are both of those things. Thank you: for sharing this journey, for choosing, day after day, moment to moment, to love me. I am humbled by you. I will love you til forever."

If that's not incentive to clean the house more often, I don't know what is.

28 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I *was* going to ask if I could have the gum, but I'm gagging on icky sentiment.

*patooooey*

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Oh shush, I'm just kidding.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Hey, you want the bobbers? I could send 'em to you for when you take The Boy fishing! And what the heck, I'll send the gum along too. Just in case the icky sentiment didn't make you throw up, then the dried-up nasty gum can finish the job. ;)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Nina said...

Awwww, that is incentive to clean house. I would keep that one forever and ever. :)

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

I think it should be incentive to send the ids to stay overnight at a friends house, make your husband a delicious steak dinner, get a bottle of wine, wear a sexy little outfit, and fall asleep on the couch watching 20/20.

I mean, because that's what we do.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger KT said...

oh man, that's so sweet it hurts. i'd probably start crying if i didn't just have my tearducts surgically removed.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger The Q said...

Awww, isn't that sweet!?! I'd never find anything like that when cleaning up our house....just dustbunnies the size of hamsters and kitty barf.

Woe is me ;-)

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger hemlock said...

What a GREAT reward for cleaning the cubbies!!! Incentive indeed!

I've always thought that cubbies of sorts would be a great idea. I never know where to put the bag I bring my lunch to school in (no, it's not a lunch bag... it's more like a mini messenger bag), and I thought a cubby would be ideal.

The idea of things piling up, however, kind of detracts from the great idea.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Fishing? Sorry, too close to a "sport".

I eats 'em, but I don'ts catch 'em.




(get your mind out of the gutter)

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

Awwww...that is SO sweet! I love running into old cards or love notes from Shel....still makes my belly do that silly flip-flop thing.:)

Angie

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

Hallmark sure can spin out those treacly sentiments, eh?




Oh...you mean to say Mr. E wrote that?

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Nina: But where would you put it? That's the problem for me... where to put it.

Rick: Who you callin' amateur?? I found the treasure, didn't I?

Bill: Actually, he's the steak chef. I make most everything else, but he rules the grill. But if you have any pictures of yourself asleep on the couch wearing a sexy little outfit, be sure to post them okay? ;)

Kat: I know, I know... Hey! Tearduct surgery? Brilliant! Did insurance cover it?

Sooze: Ha! I've seen pictures of your pristine WHITE interior! Gah! It would be a very brave dustbunny to take up residence there, I'm thinking.

Hemmie: Yeah, the black hole factor is definitely something to consider. However, the cubbies are an asset if you can keep the clutter down.

Bloggy: Why, whatever do you mean? ;)

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Angie: Gosh! I took so long to write my last replies that you and Zuhn both got in here without me seeing you. That butterfly feeling is kinda nice, don't you think? Especially all these years later. I'm really glad to see you, girl. Missed you.

Zuhn: Was it all the commas that gave him away? Hallmark can't compete with his punctuationally over-zealous-ness. ;)

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a time I would have written something like that. There was a time I would have loved reading something like that too. I'm glad you are in a place where you can still enjoy that. Love you.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Spilling Ink said...

I agree with William, sort of. Turn off the TV and go from there.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Traci: Aww girlie... I'm so sorry you're not in that place right now. But you will find a better place -- either within this relationship or when it ends. Whichever way that works out, it will be a better place for you than what is right now. Love you too, sweetie.

Lynn: I suppose that means I should turn off the computer, too? *heh*

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

That was so nice. I'm glad cleaning the house came with an extra bonus for you today;0)

Shelly

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. That's beautiful. I'd say you're both pretty lucky. :)

That's a great incentive to clean the house more. I just hope you found it early and could enjoy the rest of your "free" day! :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger limpy99 said...

All I ever find are mismatched socks and lint.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Platypus said...

Ahhhh, that's so sweet. What a lovely thing to write. Now maybe if I had someone to write me lovely things like that I might get my house tidied more often!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

I've missed you too!

A.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Kranki said...

That is seriously sweet. I hope one day I will receive a card like that.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I thought I commented. Where'd it go, doggone it!

That love letter was so absolutely sweet.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

JDR: Well, I don't exactly have a newborn, and I'm not recovering from a traumatic birthing experience, so it's a little different, don't you think?! Your most important task right now is that little JellyBean!

Shelly: It did, indeed. Sadly, the house is already in need again... but it's all good. :)

CK: We did enjoy the day -- got a few nagging things done, but mostly just had some one-on-one time with my son, the middle child, which was really a rare and wonderful thing. It was a good day.

Limpy: Stop looking in your belly button! And anyway, she's supposed to find stuff from you, not the other way around. Stay focused, would ya?

Platypus: If I'd known it was there, I'd have cleaned those cubbies long before now! I'm very fortunate, though I forget it sometimes I'm ashamed to say.

Angie: You're so sweet. Thanks. Portland's just not that far. I'll be there the weekend of March 10. I'm hoping you two are around.

Romy: It's a bit of a two-edged sword, really. Because what are the odds that I'll find anything remotely as great as that anywhere else in the house? So why bother?! And if you HAVE been married all this time, you've got some serious 'splaining to do as to why you didn't introduce us! ;)

Kranki: It is an amazing experience to have someone say those words and mean it. I can't wait for the day you email me to tell me the right guy said something like that to you. He'll find you, and he'll be the luckiest guy around.

Squirl: So it's not just me? Blogger has been eating comments, posts, template changes, just about everything this week. Grrrrrrrgh! Always glad to see you, whenever you stop by!!

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

We'll be here waiting.....margarita glasses in hand!;)

Angie

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Rhea said...

That's a nice love note. Now, was that your husband's sentiment or Hallmark's. I wasn't sure.
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Angie: Sweet! It's going to be fun!!

Scribe: Welcome! It was his own, hand-written and over-punctuated sentiment, and it made me tear up just a little. Happy tears, though.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Lushy said...

*sigh* It's so dang sweet.

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home