Vignettes
"Would you like some help out with that?" she asks, politely but with disinterest, looking already ahead to the next customer in line and gauging the size of the order by how full the cart is. I reply in the negative, and move along into the main exit aisle, noting her quick check of the clock and empathizing with her unspoken desire to be elsewhere.
As the automatic doors part before me, I scan the parking lot for the tell-tale pod to make sure I haven't confused today's parking spot with yesterday's. Cooking for 5 plus friends makes me a regular at the neighborhood grocery. But the car's parked right where I left it, and I cross toward it as quickly as traffic will permit. The young man in the diesel pick-up reluctantly makes eye contact, then realizes I don't intend to cut in front of him, his faint smile and the smell of exhaust my only reward for patience.
Having loaded my purchases into the back of the car, I turn to take back the cart when the uneven rhythym of her gait catches my eye. Disdaining the handicapped parking, she makes her way determinedly from the North 40, staying close to the line of parked cars and keeping her eyes on the front of the store. I ask if she'd like my help, but she either doesn't hear or declines to reply, so I move in order to secure her attention. Pushing the cart in front of me, I ask -- rather loudly -- whether I can keep her company on the way to the sidewalk. Bewildered momentarily by my intentional disruption, she gazes at me, then smiles broadly as comprehension dawns. She places her purse in the front and takes the cart as she resumes her solo assault on the entrance.

29 Comments:
Oh E! I'm glad to see a story. I love stories - and you tell so well! You are inspiring me to keep writing, you sweet lady. {{{Eclectic}}}
When I hit the store, I park right beside the cart return. When I go to check out, I go straight to the self-checker. Once in a while I'll make a joke to an unsuspecting fellow shopper. Other than that, I'm OUT.
Nicely written snapshot, shari! I love these brief little encounters we have with strangers.
Can I come over for dinner?
Great literature happens all the time, you know. Thanks for recognizing it.
Incidentally, I love people like that lady, people with grit. Humanity would be a few old bones hidden in the back of a cave somewhere if not for people like her.
Incidentally, I also love people like you who tell these stories.
Hello, Shari.
I love your stories. You have awesome writing skills.
The world needs more people like you, e.
Lynn:
Bloggy: Grinch.
Jenny: Of course! But it will be late tonight because of trick-or-treating, so... say 7:30-ish?
Scott: You humble me, sir.
William: Funny, I could say the same about you!
Zuhn: Not on your life, missy. I've had three of 'em, and I'm NOT having any more. Even if I DO occasionally crave ice cream. ;)
Lynn - I don't know why Blogger eats parts of my comments sometimes. Grrrrrrr! What I said to you is, "Everyday is a story, but you have to be looking. I love people who look with me, and write down what they see. Thanks for the hugs -- sending 'em back atcha!"
Bee-autiful, Shari! You are a sweet one. :)
Oh yeah?! Well, well, uh. Your Momma! And, uh, takes one to know one! And, uh, the smeller's the feller!
Ha!
I once tried to help a lady like that at the bus stop, but she yelled at me. The bus driver told me afterwards that she did that all the time.
HeatherAnne: I could definitely toss that one right back at you! Thanks for stopping by.
Bloggy: You saw my Momma at the grocery store?? I hope she was the one you joked with. Oh, and say "excuse me" when you do that. ;)
Limpy: Next time try it with your trench coat closed. ;)
I don't like shopping at all. Since I also don't like cooking, Mark gets all the honors.
I thank God every day!
(BTW - www.sweetiesblog.net. I've moved.)
i would give anything to write a story like this.
I love the way you write.
Dayum, you're good!
I love your heart . . .
You are, as they're saying here, a fine writer and a fine person. You remind me of a couple of times I've tried to help someone, and it's gone badly. I think I'll blog it some time. I seem to have a knack for pissing off the blind. :0
Like I'm even wearing a coat.
YOU = one of my favorite people on the planet.
Curtis: You moved?! Egads man! I'm glad you said something!! Tell Mark I feel his pain.
Kat: Lucky for you, I wouldn't mind if you did. So go ahead with my blessing. Only, I already know it will be 7 times better written, more creative, and more intriguing. I'm good with that.
Mo/Dis: Thanks so much, sweetie. So far, noon has not freed up much. Maybe next week?
Nina: And I would gladly share it with yours if I could.
Susie: Please, PLEASE tell us that story! You didn't steal any canes, did you?
Limpy: Then you've identified a good place to start, haven't you?!
CK: Which is probably why you're one of mine. Thanks, darlin'.
Rick: See, that's exactly what I loved about her -- that parking lot was Everest as far as she was concerned. Sorry to hear about Todd. Were you acquainted personally?
This is such a good story yet my mean and petty nature caused the following thought to pop into my mind: "That lady hijacked Eclectic's cart. I hope it wasn't one that you have to put money in."
I know, I suck.
No problem. :o)
Have I told you lately how much I love you? Thanks for the story honey. Your beautiful heart shows through as always. MWAH!
Very nicely done! Both the deed and the writing.
I don't know if I'm happy or sad about that story. But it stirred SOMETHING. Don't worry..it's nothing gross that boys get....
To me, such incidents make life worth living.
Really well written, E.
do you know why you're so friendly? BECAUSE YOU BUY ME BOOZE.
enjoy the hoagie!
Kranki: Sweet pea, you are anything but mean or petty!! I'm actually touched to see you get protective of me! Will it help you to know that the cart was free, and I offered it to her in lieu of my arm, which I'm certain she would have rejected, but the cart acted like a walker without actually being one. She was beaming when I lost sight of her as she disappeared into the store.
Mo/Dis: I'm thinking tomorrow. I'll call youse.
Traci: You know what they say about it taking one to know one, right? ;)
Odd Mix: Hi! Welcome, and thanks for the nice comment. It seemed like nothing at the time, until I started to write it down.
JDR: *mwah* Getting any sleep yet?
Squirl: You have a beautiful smile, Sis. Thanks for giving one to me.
Peefer: Did you just smile at me? That's a very nice thing to do, Peefer. I may have to vote for you for president.
Jim: If you're referring to, um, YOU KNOW..., it's not exactly gross. Um, but you know that already, right?
Mrtl: Is it really you??! HI! ***waving*** I've missed you!
SSNick: Indeed they do. Human interaction is so easily overlooked.
Amy: Thanks! I'm quite pleased you took time to come read it. Really. Thanks, Amy.
Du-Clay: It's the only thing that there's just not enough of. What the world needs now...
Post a Comment
<< Home