She's Alive!
:::UPDATE:::
Spoke again with the vet this afternoon. Sapphira did show interest in food when it was offered, and that's a very good sign I guess. But she has developed a fever, which, while not unexpected, is nevertheless of concern. They're going to keep her overnight to monitor the fever, administer fluids and antibiotics, and in the morning run another blood test to check her liver function. I'll keep updating as I learn more. Thanks for checking on us.
Just spoke with the vet and Sapphira made it through the night!! Obviously she's not out of the woods as she still cannot eat or drink on her own, but the vet has increased her possibility of recovery greatly now. I'm so relieved I could cry again, but I think I'll take a shower instead and get about my day.
Thank you all for stopping by and caring, and sending emails... sometimes I'm so grateful to have this blogging community -- seriously, you guys(and I use that in the most gender-neutral sense of the word) are awesome!!
Oh, and I've been thinking about the suggestion made by some of you that perhaps Brizzy didn't cause this; but, we have a six-foot privacy fence AND a golden retriever. If any other critter had been in the yard, Brizzy would have barked himself silly. And Sapphira couldn't have climbed back into the yard in her condition if it had happened beyond our borders. So, I think in his puppy exuberance, he just didn't realize how comparatively fragile a 5-lb kitten is and how forceful a 70-pound dog is. I am convinced he didn't mean to hurt her, he just played waaaaaaaaaaay too rough.
Thanks again for the hopes and kind thoughts -- with Mr. Eclectic out of town, I really needed you guys (again with the gender-neutral intent).

23 Comments:
Oh Joy I am so glad she made it through the night! That her chances have increased. I'm sure he didn't mean too hurt her. Sapphira is still in my thoughts for a speedy recovery! I know about that out of town thing . . . so you always know where to find me. :)
What wonderful news!!
Retrievers aren't usually rough, are they?
I have a 85lb. bull dog (yes a pit), a Pom and 4 cats (which 3 of those out weigh the Pom by 15 lbs.)
I sometimes worry about the smallest kitty (Mojo), because him and the 85 pounder (Princess) are bestest friends. I don't worry about her nipping or biting him, but they like to run when they play. I think if she was to step on him the right way, things wouldn't be to good. Could something like this had happened? And maybe Brizzy picked her up trying to get her closer to the house, door, your attention?
At any rate.. good thoughts still coming your way.
phew.
but the knocking and rubbing and looking continues.
that was dirty, wasn't it?
like i said, when sapphira gets out of the joint, brizzy's getting an ass whoopin'.
cats may or may not have 9 lives, but they have long memories ;)
So very happy to hear that Sapphira is OK. It's amazing how much animals add to our lives. It's totally understandable that you were greatly upset by this!!! Cats and dogs are our babies too!
Such good news.
Ah, sweetie... that is SUCH great news! I'll keep some good thoughts going in case you need them.
OMG! I'm just finding this out now?!?! GAH! I have to get back into reading blogs more.
Eclectic, I am so sorry!! My eyes teared up just reading this. I sure hope the next update is even better news.
Wow, I wonder what happened....like you said, I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt her but you'd think she would have put him in his place. But I guess it just takes a second when you have that big of a size difference.
Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking about Sapphira all day (and night) now.
Yay! I hope she gets to come home soon and continue on her path to rule the world some day.
I'm so glad your kitty is doing better. Hopefully she will be able to come home soon. I'll bet that will feel alot better for all of you.
I'm sure you've heard of Murphy's Law, but have you heard about Mrs. Murphy's Law? Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong when Mr. Murphy is out of town.
I hope she continues her recovery. I suspect you're right and Brizzy is behind it, even well-intentioned. I'd keep them well separated in the future.
Oh, so glad to hear she made it through the night - that must be one tough cat! Sending best wishes for her continued recovery!
Thanks for the update! Having had animals on the verge of death (some survived some did not), I know how stressful this can be.
I am going to share my sick side with you though...earlier today, I was thinking about Sapphira (I told you it would haunt me) and I started giggling.
In regards to your previous post where you made mention of "just a cat"...well technically she's much more than that. She's your DAUGHTER IN LAW! Wasn't there a wedding in the garden? ;-)
Yes, even in scary, sad times my sick (SICK!!!!) sense of humor plagues me. Seriously, there is no hope for me, but there is hope for Sapphira.
Moto sends eyeball licks to you all.
Soozieq brings up one helluva point: this cat is technically your daughter-in-law.
I'm so glad she's doing better!
I'll still keep her in my thoughts and prayers until she's home again.
(((hugs)))
I'm sorry you (and Sapphira, and fam) are having to go through this. Here's hoping tomorrow brings even better news. Hugs.
I'm glad to hear we are cautiously optimistic today. I'm thinking of you.
Thanks so much for the update. I'm SO glad to hear that she's holding her own.
We're always here for you.
Always, always, always.
Angie
Thanks for the update. We're all pulling for Sapphira!
Thanks for the update! She sounds like a tough little kitty. So I think she will pull through this.
Hugs to you!
Ok, love, it's Saturday night. I'm hoping all is well her, and that she's back home with you.
Hugs!
Fever? Time to get some Nair so she can take off that fur coat. No wonder she's burning up!!
No update... I'm worried.
No update??? Now I'm worried! Thinking of all of you today.
Update: Sapphira's at home.
She's on bed rest for a while, but I think she'll pull through.
Post a Comment
<< Home