Friday, May 05, 2006

Turn-a-ment

I've been struggling mightily these past few weeks with issues beyond my control that have disappointed me to the core. Trust is fragile, but powerful; and cruel when placed in the wrong hands.

I have withdrawn. Pouted, if you will, in a grown-up and "no, i'm just too busy" way. Until I saw someone else deal with disappointment.


***

My son will not play in the AAU select baseball tournament tomorrow.


By mistake. An error of misdirected mail, discovered too late. His name was on the list, but since we never responded, he was replaced. When the mystery unraveled, he wept. He WEPT. That was Tuesday.


Tomorrow, we're going to Spokane. But not to play. To cheer. TO CHEER! The team that might have been his. At his request. He asked on Wednesday if there was anyway to go, because he thought that if it were the other way around, it would mean a lot to him if a friend drove all that way to cheer him on, and it is the only way he can think of to help them now.


***

Sometimes, all I need is a little reminder.

24 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger pack of 2 said...

I'm so sorry he missed his opportunity to play in the tournament, but I do believe we have witnessed here something much bigger than playing in the game. What an awesome young man you're raising there Eclectic. :)

Angie

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Angie: Thank you. I'm his mom, so naturally I'm biased, but I do believe he's The Bomb. ;)

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Honey, this is proof positive that you're doing SOMETHING amazingly right. What an adult and selfless thing he's doing. Kudos to both of you.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

That is an amazing show of character for him to go cheer on his friends.
You are doing a great job with these kids.
I'm going to keep telling you this because you need to know that you and your family kick major glutes!
:oD

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

he's definately the bomb eclectic. so sorry he wont be able to play, but you guys are making the best out of the situation and that rocks :)

have a great time tomorrow and hope things start looking up for you as well.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Curtis said...

What a terrific kid!

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Normally I would point out that sports=evil but when it comes to the little guys having tears in their eyes, I can't seem to keep a dry eye either. I sense passion and integrity and not icky competition.

As for you young lady, I sense the same qualities. I'm very happy to know we still have REAL people here and there. Does it not get scary and make you wonder sometimes though?

Well done you guys, lucky you are.

Now…about this sports bidness… :)

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Wow. Happy early Mother's Day. Big ol' trophies for both of you. (And maybe the Dad gets a little shout out, too ;) Write this one in his book, the book that you keep for him to let him know how wonderful he's always been. (If it's just in your head, get it out of there, put it somewhere he can read it.) Loving you, thinking of you daily.

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow . . . this story brought tears to my eyes. What a great kid and a great mom. Hope you guys have fun at the tournament, and that things start looking up for you soon.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger kat said...

grown-up pouting? wow, i'm impressed - i still throw temper tantrums like a 2-year-old.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Poor kid, but it really is great that he can still have that attitude and go enjoy the game after all.

Smooches to you lady.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger The Q said...

You and your entire family NEVER cease to amaze me. Seriously. I am not one to be amazed easily...impressed, sure I can be impressed but not so much amazed.

I'm so sorry he missed the opportunity to play on the team but I'm glad you guys are making it possible for him to attend nonetheless.

You and Mr. E are doing a fantastic job raising your kids and the world will be a better place for it now and especially in the future.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Wow, I love it when children are able to remind us adults how we should all behave. The poor kid, made me want to cry for him. But what a fantastic attitude.

Yes, you're doing very well with your young-uns. well you do call me squirl-bob

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Nina said...

Let see if I can type this even with tears in my eyes. What a fantastic son you have there. Just wonderful and so loving . . . children remind us and when we see through their eyes it is magical.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger nRT said...

Being a parent is the HARDEST job in the world. Any one can make a baby but to raise a child who has feeling for others, leadership qualities , who is competent and is caring is rare. He made the team, but, because of a screw up he can not be on the team. He is a good kid and wiser that his age. it is awesome that he is wanat to go and cheer his team on , he is doing an extraordinary thing. He is a GOOD SPORT.
You’ve done good. You’re a good role model.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger matt said...

Your son might be my new hero.

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - what a mature and thoughtful son you have raised! Sorry he missed out on the game, but definitely sounds like he made the most out of a disappointing situation. Class act.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh honey, what a fabulous job you are doing! What an amazing young man you are nurturing. How absolutely amazing to hear about this. I'm proud of you and him. Peace and safe travels. MWAH!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Thank you, honey bunny ;) Will write soon.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I’m sure your son was disappointed. I would have been. His response was extremely gracious, especially considering his circumstances. My salute and blessings to him!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Kranki said...

Aw! That is a shame. But he turned it around so well. You must be so proud of him.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We ALL need reminders...

He's totally the bomb. :)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Wow, what a kid. I love how they turn us around and teach us. Great post.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger p.p. said...

I don't know what it means to be an adult, so I have nothing of value to add.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home