Ridge to River - Part Deux, and Blossoms, too.
The Iron-Girl whose mother dropped the ball (story to follow), along with her Obstacle Course Volunteer Partner, who was only slightly coerced into it:

The Side-Kick/Mascot who will tell you he won:

Alright. Who knew the Iron Girl registration would max out a month before the race?? I went last Monday to the race office to register and was informed that my son's tandem team would be fine, but my daughter's solo effort was a bust. So sorry, there's always next year.
Me: Uh, NO, there's not. She's 12, and this is her last year.
Race Lady: Well, you could have registered her earlier.
Me: Uh, YES, but I didn't.
Race Lady: Sorry.
Me: Uh, YEAH, me too.
Race Lady: There's room in the mixed team division.
Me: Uh, NO, all her friends are already on teams. She wanted to Iron it this year for her last year.
***Awkward pause***
Me: WAIT! If I sign her up as a mixed team, can she do all the events as her own teammate?
Race Lady: Uh, NO. The Team Obstacle Course requires teamwork. With at least one other person. And in the mixed division, it would have to be a boy.
Me: So she could do all the events herself so long as a boy joined her for the obstacle course?
Race Lady: Uh, Yes. If he's 12 or younger.
Me: (realizing I have a nine-year-old son who can be bribed) SOLD!
So here's how it went: The 12-year-old mixed teams started at 10:20. She ran 1.5 miles, then hopped into the kayak for the 200 yard paddle leg, popped onto her bike for the 2-mile ride, and then met her brother at the start of the obstacle course, finishing Fourth. Then, he raced back to the lagoon to meet HIS tandem teammate at the end of their run which started at 10:50, he paddled then hopped on his bike to the obstacle course where he and Cole passed teams from the 10:40 wave to finish first in their division. ***whew*** Congrats, kids! Thank you for salvaging my self-worth as a mother.
This is visible all over the valley right now:



Yeah, I know the blooms don't go with the Jr. R2R post, but I took the photos all the same day and I'm too damn lazy to make two posts out of it. Just pretend there's a date stamp and another title if it makes you feel better. There. See how I'm always there for you? ***heh***

36 Comments:
Your entire family is a bunch of ROCK STARS!! I cannot believe how much talent you all have individually and as a group. You all make me sick. Heh.
By the way, is there someone showing their red panties behind your kids in the first picture? Right there...to the left of your son...who is that and what are they wearing? Please say it's a bathing suit. Please?
uh, i was drunk by five. then i went out for tex-mex with some friends, where i ordered 4 margaritas and four cuervo shots. and then dumped the shots into our margaritas. and i was sitting down for all of it.
shari, i think i'm wasting my life.
Wow - I see athleticism certainly runs in your family! Congrats!
And on Saturday, when you drunk-dial me in NYC, I hope you're looking out at that gorgeous backyard of yours. I'm so jealous! (I see a brick wall when I look out my window. Oh, and a dumpster.)
Wait a minute, let me make sure I've got this straight: You and your whole family are into the whole running/kayaking/biking/obstacle course/who-knows-what-else iron child/man/woman/person thing. Yet you're "too lazy" to make two posts?
All right then. Just checking. I wish I was lazy like you!
Congrats! You got her in, and she kicked my butt!
The pictures are beautiful.
I'd like to double what Sharkey said ;-)
Sooze: OMG! I had not noticed the red glare -- I don't know what it is, but we'll assume (for our sanity) that it's a wetsuit or something. Gaaaah!
Kat: Mmmmm. Margaritas! You're not wasting your life, think of it like pickling -- it's preservative. I can't wait till June!
Jenny: I can't wait to drunk-dial you! You know, we can probably rig up a projection display on that brick wall of yours, and you can change it with the seasons so you'll be the only girl in Chicago with apple blossoms in her backyard in December!
Sharkey: Selectively lazy, yeah, that's it! Think of it as an opportunity to exercise your imagination, pretending there are two posts instead of one. Hee!
Lawbrat: Thanks! She did kick some tailfeathers, but she was still a tad disappointed not to be with the other iron girls. Definitely NOT my best "Mother of the Year" moment. Still, all things considered, she was very gracious about the whole thing.
Congrats to the super kids!
And congrats to SoozieQ for spotting the underwear! Guttermind, obviously :)
btw - is the mascot wearing Couloir by any chance?
WOW Way to go eclectics, I am so impressed. Sounds like they would leave me in the dust. What a sweet brother . . . okay how much was the bribe? ;)
Yay for little brother Eclectic for saving the day!
Your kids are growing up so fast.
Iron Girl and sidekick brother look so happy. :o) Lil' Eclectic is adorable!
Lovely pictures of the blossoms. On the second post, of course...
;o)
Bribe, or threat?
Wow, good job!
LOL @ Sharkey...I think I must be the same kind of lazy as Sharkey...cause I didn't get that either...LOL!
I LOVE those pics of the trees blooming...now I am off top check out what Soozie was talking about...good eye Sooz!
Shelly
You are an amazing MOM, you jumped through the hoops to make this happen. Your family is lucky to have you and your are luck to have such great kids.
Congrats to all
nancy
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Well it's official now...I am the laziest woman alive. : ) Not only would I completely suck at anything resembling an iron man, woman or kid...I'd much rather be watching from my comfy bed! Thanks for making my day! Heehee... Your children are gorgeous by the way. Just like their Mommy!!!
The blossoms are beautiful. The story is great: I like happy endings. Thanks
SWEET! Oh my GOD! Holy crap, you alone are a formidable person but your whole family together could take over a government!
All this talk of execise has made me bloated. I'm with Kat -- my life is meaningless.
Zuhn: Yeah, who else would notice the red peek-a-boo spandex in the margin?! *heh*
Couloir? Apparently not, since I don't even know what that is!
***looking around for the sign identifying me as old and un-cool***
Nina: Thank you, honey! Ice cream was the price of my negligence. A LOT of ice cream. But, on the whole, it was a small price to pay since we usually take them for ice cream after the race anyway...!
M/D: Aren't you sick of the blooms out where you live? Poor thing, all surrounded by orchards in bloom and stuff!
Bloggy: Do not trouble me with your semantics, man. One man's threat is another's ... well, something else.
Shelly: Nothing gets past our Soozie-Q! Selectively lazy is a good thing, I think. I like to call it "balance."
Nancy: Thank you for such kind words! I felt like a heel, but the kids really did pull together and cheer each other on. I was kinda taken aback by how generous they were to each other that day.
Traci: You are much too sweet! But I like it.
SSNick: Here's to happy endings!
Jim: OOoh, great idea! Where shall we start? ;)
Peter: Yeah, yeah, I hear you talking, but then I see you remodeling a home and landscaping the yard and I know you're just on crack.
...another man's bag of Red Hots? Pan of brownies?
...stack of cash? Free pass to the movies?
For future reference, actually, for current reference, what exactly did you offer a yonnger sibling to help out an older one? I could use this knowledge.
Ice cream, that is all? It is what I thought then just a sweet younger brother. :)
Bloggy: I'll take the brownies, please. Now, what was that question of yours?
Limpy: That most magical of potions: chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. AT the ice cream shoppe of course, NOT the home variety.
Nina: Indeed. Ice cream is all. And it was certainly no sweeter than the boy who enjoyed it! He's going to be such a wonderful man.
No question, just filling in your blank.
Bloggy: That kinda talk'll get you swatted 'round here, young man!
Romy: How lovely to see you here!!! The orchard shot is cherry trees, and the close-ups from a different orchard are apple blossoms. We are so fortunate to live in a tree-fruit growing area. The valley is hauntingly beautiful this time of year. On another note altogether, shall I drunk-dial you too this weekend since we're both to be absent from TC'06? ;)
Chia: Hi-fiving complete! They appreciate it, especially the daughter-type. She loves feed back from other "tough girls"!
Holy smokes. Look at you guys GO! I don't even think about such feats let alone actually do them. You guys inspire me!
Nah, you're not uncool, it's just a brand that nobody has ever heard of.
The blooms go just fine.
Your kids ROCK!
Kranki: Thank you! But I think you sell yourself short. You're one of the most inspiring people I know. Really.
Lynn: You're welcome to look all you like! I love them too.
Zuhn: I'm SOOOOOO not cool. In fact, I'm the not coolest person I know! But, at least I've heard of Couloir now. ;)
Rose: You're right -- I'd have been in trouble without that second child! So, when shall we expect Jelly Bean the Second?! *wink*
Amy: Why, thank you! Partial to redheads, are you? ;) Me too!
Excellent, eclectics! I feel like such a slug, now.
I hope your family does take over the government.
I came to do my version of drink and dial!
I love you man!
Have a good day honey...MWAH!
Eclectic, what a coincidence I'm the not coolest person that I know. But you're a lot tougher than I am. So I think I'm even less cool.
After seeing your schedule posted earlier I don't see how you can use the word lazy to ever describe yourself. I got tired just reading it.
Your kids are adorable. And I'm glad that your whole family is so active.
Oh, now commenting on your second, the pictures, post. Beautiful blooms. I did get to see more trees blooming and leafing out by heading south this last week.
Yeah you guys are awesome. I hope my kids grow up as physical as yours.
Thanks for the great pictures!
Bandit Talks
Post a Comment
<< Home