Saturday, November 05, 2005

And now: The Post wherein YOU spill your guts to me.

Having seen reader surveys for some time now in various magazines and blogs, I now submit to YOU, my lovelies, THE ECLECTIC SURVEY:

1) Current primary mode of transportation: a)Bicycle, b)Car, c)Truck, d)Van, e)SUV or f)Motorcycle?

2) Current favorite music: a)Pop, b)Rap/Hip-Hop, c)Country, d)Classic Rock, e)Blue Grass, f)R&B, g)Jazz, h)Classical, i)Alternative, j)Show Tunes or k)Other. (If your answer is k), you must attach an explanation identifying the genre you prefer.)

3) Currently reading what? (besides blogs...)

4) E-mail or telephone?

5) One essential trait in a significant other? (besides that they be of the gender you prefer...)

6) Can you be moved to tears? If so, what is/are the most likely trigger/s? And if not, why do you suppose that is?

7) Please describe a perfect Saturday.

Ready? .............................................................................
....................................................................................
........GO!!!

34 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger The Q said...

1) Current primary mode of transportation: SUV (small one)

2) Current favorite music: Alternative, I guess it's called that. Or maybe Alternative Rock. I listen to Live 105 out of San Francisco. That's about as alternative as I get. I cannot stand Country music by the way. It makes my ears bleed ;-)

3) Currently reading what? I have the Da Vinci Code, but I haven't gotten around to starting it yet.

4) E-mail or telephone? Email, email, email. I do NOT like talking on the phone AT.ALL.

5) One essential trait in a significant other? (besides that they be of the gender you prefer...) The person must respect me. With respect you also have so many other traits that I demand. Honesty being just one of many that follow under respect.

6) Can you be moved to tears? If so, what is/are the most likely trigger/s? And if not, why do you suppose that is? I can be moved to tears quite easily. Any sad/happy story about an animal will produce massive waterworks. I will also blow snot bubbles (read: cry) when someone I care about is struggling. Ironically enough, I do not cry when I myself am struggling or having issues.

7) Please describe a perfect Saturday. Sunshine and being with someone I enjoy. Whether that be in a car driving around taking pictures, at a park with the Dog, or hanging in the backyard with good friends, music, food and drink. To be honest, anything that makes me smile/laugh is a great thing to do on a perfect Saturday.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

Ok, I'll bite.

1. g - my feet

2. This one is difficult because my tastes are rather eclectic. I would have to say e - bluegrass, but I've also recently discovered Michael Franti, so....

3. Ok, this one is even harder than the previous because I usually have 10 books going at the same time. I'll just mention what I've read today then: Collected Stories of Dorothy Parker and Transcending Boundaries by Xiang Biao about a migrant enclave in Beijing.

4. Email. Most days.

5. Someone who understands me enough to be able to say "bullshit" when I feed them a line to get out of divulging my thoughts. And nice forearms. :)

6. No. I blame Chinese stoicism.

7. This is actually what I prefer for Sundays, but I suppose it can count for a perfect Saturday too.

Waking up with my partner, taking that first sip of coffee, making breakfast together, eating and then lazing about for a while. Then heading out with a picnic and reading the paper in a nearby park. Going out for dinner in the evening, maybe a leisurely after-dinner stroll.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

Current mode of transportation: car

Current favorite music: Alternative

Currently reading: in between books; just finished George Carlin's "When will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?" and laughed my ass off

Email or Telephone? Email

Essential trait in a significant other: He must be kind, have a sense of humor, and have a big-

Ever been moved to tears? Cutting onions and getting sprayed in the eye with the juice...owie

A perfect Saturday: No screaming kids is a start. Just being able to relax and be myself is a great thing to do on the weekends.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Jeanie said...

1) g)bus/my feet
2. k) I'd have to say I like a lot of everything, sans c) j) and a)
3. I'm reading Voices of Qi: An introduction guide to Traditional Chinese Medicine by Alex Holland . I love school reading!
4. Email. It's awful, but it's the first thing I get to in the morning and the last thing I check at night. I usually unplug my phone when I don't want to be bothered :)
5. A sense of humor is the sexiest thing anyone can have. Oh, and TRUST=HUGE
6.I have been moved to tears. Usually it is something that I can relate to from my own experiences, but often if I see someone crying, I tend to start as well!
7) Wake up at 9, being completely refreshed. Have a nice long shower, walk to the farmer's market to buy beeswax and apples. Grab a blanket, a good book, and eat said apples under a tree. Call up a few friends and go for coffee/supper in the early evening. Veg out with lovely boyfriend at night and watch stupid movie and then SNL.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Current primary mode of transportation: c) 2006 Subaru Legacy sedan. I know you didn't ask for such specifics, but I just got it on Tuesday!

2) Current favorite music: a) pop, c) country, d) classic rock, h) classical, i) alternative. I NEED variety--I cannot listen to the radio at work every day because they play the same songs over and over and over.

3) Currently reading what? I just bought David Baldacci's Hour Game and The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. I'm on vacation, you know (like I read highbrow stuff at home)!

4) Email or telephone? Telephone, except with my family. They have email too--we just never communicate that way.

5) One essential trait in a significant other? Sense of humor; it can get you through the tough times like nothing else can.

6) Can you be moved to tears? Hallmark commercial, anyone?

7) Please describe a perfect Saturday. Hmmm, such pressure. Perfect? Let's see . . . I'd wake up to a sparking clean house (that I didn't have to clean). It'd be a warm, sunny day, and J.P. and I would spend the day together. We wouldn't have to do anything special--just hang out, or go for a walk. And of course we'd have to go out for dinner, preferably at a place like Roy's.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Killer: Ooooooh, I LURVE me some apple butter....! So glad you're back!!!

SoozieQ: SOME country is OK, though, right? Like Shania Twain maybe or Gary Allen?

Zuhn: So if that's usually Sunday, what does Saturday typically look like?

M_D: ***Off to buy George Carlin's book now***

Jeans: Oh friend, I do love me some SNL!!! Now, if only I could still stay awake long enough to make it to Weekend Update...

Sharkey: Congrats on the new ride!! Color report? Leather or cloth? Standard or Automatic? C'mon girl... GIVE!!!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Wow, this one's long. Let's see.

1)Car, a smaller one. Who can afford gas?

2) You really expect me to pick one? I like show tunes, some rock, lots of classical (OperaGal currently has Beethoven sonatas on her music popup) and I was just talking to Ichabod about a particular Frank Zappa CD.

3) Truths and Half Truths by Nils Ling, our own, lovely Nilbo.

4) Phone, but it's not always practical.

5) He's gotta be smart and a good conversationalist. If we can't play word games (spontaneous, that is) and have good, intellectual discussions, then I'll be so bored I won't be able to stand it.

6) Yes, I can be moved to tears. It's not always the same. Sometimes is a sad story about a pet. When Sarah died I just sat at my computer and the tears flowed freely. I never met her, but the love from SWLF came through as did their pain and anguish.

7) Sleep in late, eat a wonderful breakfast made by someone else, warm, sunny 70's something temperature day, ride/walk in nature and getting many good pictures, eating a great dinner made by someone else and then watching a DVD, blogging, going to bed and then, well, whatever... :-)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Oh, and like SoozieQ, read my lips, NO COUNTRY!!!!!

Makes my ears bleed, too.

Sorry, I know a lot of you like it and that's why it's out there. Just prefer not to have to subject myself to it.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Squirl: Sarah's death was catastrophic to me, too. And I never even communicated with her, just SWLF. Odd that it can be so moving.

As for country, don't get me wrong... I'm too classically trained to stand for much of it, but some of the lyrics and melodies are compelling... although if the instrumentation and/or 'twang' makes me grit my teeth, I'm out. Oddly enough though, I am personal friends with the musicians in "Frontline", a regional bluegrass band, and they're slowly conditioning me to at least be able to appreciate their musicianship.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Bluegrass takes more talent, IMO, than the popular country music. I don't want a steady diet of it, but it doesn't set my teeth on edge.

This comment got way too long and I was going to send you an e-mail, but I couldn't find your e-mail address in your profile.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger KMJ said...

Hi Eclectic! Thanks for visiting my blog. I wanted to drop in and say Hi! too. And, hey, while I'm here...I'll fill out the ECLECTIC SURVEY. :)

1) b)Boring old Car

2) Current favorite music: j)Show Tunes (really soundtracks to musicals - Les Miserable, Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, etc.)

3) Currently reading what? "Eldest" - by Christopher Paolini

4) E-mail or telephone?
a) blog mail (I'll comment before I email), the telephone

5) One essential trait in a significant other? Lovingkindness & commitment.


6) Can you be moved to tears? If so, what is/are the most likely trigger/s? And if not, why do you suppose that is?
Yes...by sad movies, sad commercials, ailing animals, humiliation by others, frustration, humility. Other than that, I'm a rock. :)

7) Please describe a perfect Saturday.
A bit of caffeine, good weather and a road trip to anywhere!!!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger kat said...

1) none of the above.

2) indie rock.

3) Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. and Goblet of Fire, of course.

4) email. i am irrationally afraid of the telephone. like, petrified of it.

5) he MUST make me laugh.

6) i only cry during movies. and then i usually can't stop!

7) sleeping in, having a hot shower, and then spending the rest of the day cooking something yummy and drinking red, red wine.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Nina said...

1) Current primary mode of transportation:(SUV) Montero Sport

2) Current favorite music: I have to say Country.

3) Currently reading what? The Hidden Half . . . (Studies of Plains Indian Women)

4) E-mail or telephone? Most of the time email . . . but sometimes you just need to hear their voice.

5) One essential trait in a significant other? (besides that they be of the gender you prefer...) Just one, oh no . . . I would have to say Honesty, if the biggest for me.

6) Can you be moved to tears? If so, what is/are the most likely trigger/s? And if not, why do you suppose that is? Too easy, but at times when I have to, I can keep it together. At times when I don't have to the tears flow. I am extremely sensitive, always have been.

7) Please describe a perfect Saturday. Well yesterday was pretty great getting to see my daughter. Spending time with friends . . . John . . . my sons, but 80 degrees would only make it better. :)

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here goes:
1. Train
2. Can't stop listening to Tori Amos and Cyndi Lauper in my iPod lately.
3. A.M. Homes, and PhotoShop for Dummies
4. Email
5. Sense of humor (as long as it's not malicious or bitterly sarcastic)
6. Often. Any sappy "overcoming the odds" kind of movie, or seeing fathers being particularly sweet with their young children.
7. Leisurely morning sipping a latte and reading paper, lunch in neighborhood flipping through magazines, dinner/drinks with friends, working on writing somewhere in between all that.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Amy said...

1. Ford Windstar
2. Hip-Hop (Okay, well, just Lauryn Hill but still...)
3. A Gesture Life
4. Email. Fer shure.
5. Compassionate.
6. Absolutely. Dr. Ballard dog food commercials, Terms of Endearment, Amazing Grace played on the bagpipes, cramps, really good steak, my husband saying something kind out of the blue, thinking about my mother dying (it hasn't happened yet, but if I think about it I am a wreck), and many many millions of other things.

7. Kids behave reasonably so hubby and I can kind of stay in bed, at least till eight thirty or so. Get up, have tea and read the paper sitting on the kitchen floor while hubby makes bacon and eggs for everybody. We go out en famille, to anywhere, Home Depot, or the park or who cares, anywhere. Come home, chill out for a couple hours, no cleaning or tasks, just whatever. Then the baby sitter shows up and hubby and I go out for dinner and a movie.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Oh, OK.
1)Car. 1999 Saturn. I'm not much of a car person. We did get a new minivan a couple of weeks ago, but Jif drives that, mostly.
2) I really do listen to darn near everything. CDs played in the last few days: Wyclef Jean, Jennifer Knapp (contemp. Christian), The Nevilles, Alternate Roots (a friend's bluegrass band), Tracy Chapman, Melissa Etheridge, Smokey Robinson, Sam Cooke, Oklahoma! soundtrack (LG's going to be in the play!)
3)The Great Gatsby, for a book club. I love Susan Howatch's series on turn of the century British clergy -- it's SO GOOD, I swear! -- and I recently read Middlesex, which I liked very much.
4)Mostly e-mail, now, because of the immediacy. I like to hear people's voices, but I'm available at such odd times that email works better.
5)About equal: sense of humor, intelligence, spiritual seeker.
6)Oh, hell yea. I laugh and cry very easily. Anything deep and true. I know that sounds corny, but those are the words that come to mind.
7)No alarm clock. No house chores except making breakfast. Some time with Jif and LG doing fun stuff outside. Some time alone reading, playing with my camera. Maybe a phone call with a friend. Just ordinary stuff.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

1. Car
2. Rock - specifically the new CD by the new band. The band is Daddy and the CD is "At the Women's Club"
3. Reading? I still really like those US Toys catalogues
4. email baby!
5. Hughe Murr
6. Yep. Nice words from my boy, movies/shows (like that damn Three Wishes)
7. Yesterday (minus all the death and destruction from the tornado). Spending time with my boy and my buddy Bone Machine at a musical even. (See above musical comment)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Oh, and here's some gut spillage:


*blllllleeeeeeehhh*

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Susie said...

stepping over Mr. B's spillage, Three Wishes? I cry like a . . . person crying, at that one; also Extreme Makeover Home Edition -- it's CRAZY, but I love to watch that show and cry with happiness that those people are getting better houses than I!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Squirl: I don't mind long comments -- in fact, I'm often the perpetrator... ***blush*** But, just in case you ever feel like writing, it's sbhhe@juno.com.

KMJ: Hello and welcome!! Nice to see you here! OK, does ANYTHING compare to "Bring Him Home" in terms of making you cry? Gaaah! Love that show!

Kat: Red wine and S/O-induced laughter. Sounds perfect! Merlot, Syrah or Cab. Sauv.?

Nina: Country! I knew there had to be someone who'd admit to it! Maybe it's the Colorado connection, ya think?

Jen: Why didn't I think of train? Obviously I lack big-city culture, sophistication and mass transit... Will you still be my friend? LOVE Tori Amos!!

Amy: Who wrote "A Gesture Life"? Oh, and I felt like a dork crying when I thought of a time I'd be without my dad... I mean, he was in perfect health! But I found that all those times I had grieved in advance actually did help prepare me for his sudden, unexpected death last year. I hope your mom has decades of health and energy in front of you both, but don't deny yourself those tears if they come.

Susie: You always have to watch your step when you follow Bloggy... Who is LG's character? I wish I could attend the show!

Mr. B: Remind me to have the "IT'S RHETORICAL" talk with you sometime when you're feeling better. For now though, I'm going to have to ask you to clean this place up.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Nina said...

I think the Colorado connection plays a big part in it. Although John who was born and raised here, can do without country music. I always lean toward it . . . so if he is in my car he has to listen to it.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger jac said...

Eclectic
Where is your answers ????

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

So my Saturdays are usually spent forgetting that it's not Sunday and fretting that the weekend has gone by already. That's what happens when you've taken Fridays off since 1998.

I also have to say, yay country music! Even better, yay bluegrass! One day you too will join us in appreciation, eclectic. The grass is bluer of this side of the banjo.

And yeah, where are your answers?

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger The Q said...

Yes, Eclectic, please share your answers with us! :-)

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Nina: That's right! Your car, your music. Atta girl!

Oh Jac... you've started a mutiny, I see. But you failed to post your answers first, so it's disqualified!!

Zuhn: I have nothing but admiration for skilled and artistic banjo playing. Truly. I do have issues though with nasally, overly-twangy vocals, though, and/or boring melodies.

Sooze: Harumph! Doesn't anybody read the title anymore?? This is the post wherein YOU spill your guts. If you're really nice and kiss Moto right on the top of his muzzle for me maybe next time will be the one wherein I spill my guts. Mmmmmmmmmmaybe. ;)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger The Q said...

Moto's muzzle has been kissed...just like you like it babee.

So keep that in mind...he's waiting to "get to know" you better now too :-)

He's just a dog, come on....give him what he wants (well a Greenie is what he wants, but your answers to the questions will do)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

A Gesture Life by Chang-rae Lee.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) SUV
2) Soft Rock
3) Just finished a novel, really never get time to read, work, kids, life - miss it though, bigraphy's, self-help and fiction.
4) e-mail
5)To stand in their own truth and to be able to handle looking in the mirror I hold up to them. Humour, affection and adoration.
6)So often it embarresses me, in anger, sadness or fear. Watching my kids. Watching Gray's Anatomy - I cry every week in that one (seriously).
7) Good friends, good company, spontaneous plans. Laughter, good food and if ou throw in a picnic on the beach, well water always soothes my soul.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Sooze: I do love me some Moto-dog!! Thanks for passing the love to him. But all that wins you is my undying affection AND a "maybe" on the spillage!

Amy: THANK you!! I've another friend who read the book long enough ago to have forgotten the author, and it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Tammy: Aha! Another spontaneous soul!! And I totally agree with you that a spouse/significant other MUST be true -- not ONLY to me, but to himself. I also like it when he holds the mirror for me -- I learn much from the process.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

1) Car
2) Other. FUNK! I could've said R&B, but I have to narrow it down to FUNK. Especially if James Brown is involved.
3) "Truths and Half Truths" by Nils Ling
4) E-mail. I express better in writing.
5) The ability to make me wet my pants with laughter.
6)Yes, not that I would admit it in public. I always cry during RENT when somebody dies (I won't spoil for those who haven't seen), and sometimes music is so good, it makes me cry.
7) A perfect Saturday: sleep past 5:30 am, cartoons, lunch at Mongolian Barbecue, web surfing, web surfing, some time for photography, lots of shagging, more cartoons, dinner at Sagano with just a little wine, more shagging.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger ALRO said...

1) Current primary mode of transportation: a)Bicycle, b)Car, c)Truck, d)Van, e)SUV or f)Motorcycle?

B

2) Current favorite music: a)Pop, b)Rap/Hip-Hop, c)Country, d)Classic Rock, e)Blue Grass, f)R&B, g)Jazz, h)Classical, i)Alternative, j)Show Tunes or k)Other. (If your answer is k), you must attach an explanation identifying the genre you prefer.)

D AND K - i love blues and some Score-type classical

3) Currently reading what?

Angels & Demon by Dan Brown (author of the Da Vinci Code)

4) E-mail or telephone?

Email all the way; i hate phones

5) One essential trait in a significant other?

Complete and utter understanding of my nature.

6) Can you be moved to tears? If so, what is/are the most likely trigger/s? And if not, why do you suppose that is?

Yes - Ever watch Extreme makeover: Home Edition???

7) Please describe a perfect Saturday.

Wake up around 11am to a nice hot coffee .. a kiss from LilDeb and Ray-man, watch some cool movies, have a fondue and a large bottle of wine for dinner, and good sex to close the night off.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger matt said...

Current primary mode of transportation:
bicycle!

Current favorite music:
acoustic / folk. i'm such a hippie...

Currently reading what?
The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver... despite having lived in africa three years, despite having spent much of the last few years in various christian ministry organizations, i'd never read it. i really should have gotten to it sooner.

E-mail or telephone?
e-mail

One essential trait in a significant other?
how about two? analytical mind, including willingness to use it, and a certain amount of randomness / unpredictability

Can you be moved to tears? If so, what is/are the most likely trigger/s? And if not, why do you suppose that is?
rarely, if ever. the last couple of times, its been in the process of writing something -- finally connecting to the emotions i never let myself feel otherwise.


Please describe a perfect Saturday.
wake up easily, say 9:30 or so -- not too early, not too late. eat some -- maybe some fried potato cubes, a little bit of bacon, a cup of good mate -- read for a little while, then go for a run. maybe a good thirty miler -- enough to enjoy most of it, but still struggle through the last few miles, and certainly enough to really wear me out -- a nap, and then maybe popcorn, apples, pizza, and a beer or two with a movie for dinner. after dinner, maybe a walk, some more reading, a little bit of writing, a little bit of guitar, and then to bed.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger kat said...

to answer your question, many many days late, pinot noir. but i nice syrah will do just fine.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Bucky: Brown funk? Geez, Bucky, take it outside, huh?!

Alshrim: What is your nature? Surely it isn't all that far removed from most of us? From what you show us, it seems a lovely nature, sensitive and forthright.

Matt: A fellow-cyclist! Hurray! And folk guitar is the soundtrack of my childhood home, having older brothers gifted in singer-songwriting and performance...

Kat: I love me a spicy Syrah. Good choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home