Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Ghost of Halloween Past

When the children in my rural neighborhood would don white sheets, witch hats and fairy wings, I always watched out the window with some envy, and some fear. "Halloween" was forbidden, and the scarier for it. These few kids were my friends, and I was filled with terror for them as I watched them "invite evil" into their lives by participating in the pagan celebration.

Except the one year.

Sonja lived in a real neighborhood in town. You know, the kind with adjacent driveways neatly lining the cul de sac, matching mailboxes standing like rows of inert sentinals, and identical streets flanking each other into infinity. Dummys hung in perpetual effigy from robust trees, jack-o-lanterns winked skitterishly from retaining walls and doorsteps, and bats, witches and mummies littered the landscaping at nearly regular intervals. Oh! It was alarming, and I knew it was wrong... yet, I was inexorably drawn.

Camouflaged as an innocent playdate, our plan faced its first difficulty: a costume. What was needed was a total disguise, yet it had to fit inside a backpack already brimming with books. The agony gripped me for days. How to be cool, completely unrecognizable, and undetected?

The day arrived. Sitting on the backseat of Sonja's mom's Buick, I recall shuddery fear mingling with the intoxicant of impending success. First we would "play" for awhile to anesthetize her mom; then, we would wind our way down the street to Celeste's house, a sort of Swizterland to our "von Trapp Family" escapade. My skin prickled as I passed the gravestone in Celeste's lawn bearing the letters "R.I.P" leaning drunkenly against a faux-wooden casket. The cobwebs strung across the front porch lent authenticity to the sound effects looping endlessly from a cassette recorder half-hidden beneath a rocking chair.

Then we were in Celeste's room festooned with posters of Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy, people I'd never heard of but must certainly be dangerous. Celeste's mother knocked and asked if she could do anything to help us with our costumes. WHAT? How could any adult be so non-chalant about the evil we were courting?? It served only to confirm that I really had left the protection of my upbringing and was smack-dab in enemy territory. How else to explain her willingness to be an accessory to our demise?

Joining the throngs of hobgoblins on the sidewalks, we careened from house to house like rabid bats collecting candy in amounts I didn't know existed. Incredible!

As with all highs though, there was a crash. Back in the rock-n-roll sanctum, we doffed our finery and inventoried the evening's take. The other girls seemed easy with the process of negotiating: Babe Ruths for Snickers, Milky Ways for Musketeers. I huddled closer to my own pile, the tentacles of remorse reaching into my heart. What had seemed the pathway to Paradise now looked like a pillowcase-full of poison. I selected a Reese's cup to re-ignite the fires of rebellion, but it tasted like sawdust. I pushed my bounty toward the others who were so busy in trade they hardly noticed. When I reached Sonja's house, I almost forgot to be stealthy. I listened to Disney stories on the turn-table in the rec-room, played aimlessly with various toys and games, and waited for Sonja to return. She burst in the door, exuberant and flushed. She was everything I wanted to be that night - cunning, brave and victorious. Everything I was not.

Riding home I tried to answer my parents' polite queries about my day with enthusiasm, but I didn't have much of a stomach for lying. I pled tummy ache and turned my face into the cold vinyl of the back seat. The costume in my backpack seared my conscience and I couldn't wait to unload it in the dumpster at churchschool the next day. In my misery I failed to notice the snowflakes wending their way to the ground, so when I awoke in the cold light of November it was a miracle to see the blanket of white. It seemed to me a mercy, a tangible forgiveness and offer of clemency; a clean slate, a do-over.

Each year now as I bundle my own little hobgoblins into their costumes, I think back to that Halloween. And I mourn the time spent in futile loyalty to that fear. Ghosts such as this are real.

26 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Nina said...

Wow, I have said it before and I will say it again . . . you are a wonderful writer.
Childhood fears are strong, why would those who love and protect us ever steer us wrong? The bottom line, they are living with their own fear and doing what they think is right.
I really enjoyed reading this story!

Nina

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Halloween can be such a fun time for kids. It's too bad you couldn't enjoy the night.

I agree with Nanina, you have a wonderful way of writing your story.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

I was pretty much going to say the same thing nanina said.
Guilt is a terrible thing.
:::hugs:::

If someone tells you pizgfhbi, is that a complement or an insult?

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize this comment isn't exactly original, but I agree with everyone else--you're a great writer.

I, too, was a guilty kid. Looking back now, I wish I'd done some of the things I was too chicken to do. Good for you for doing it, even if your conscience didn't allow you to enjoy it as much as you thought you would. :)

And the cold vinyl of the car seat? Totally captures what those old cars were like. I can almost feel it on my own face now.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Judypatooote said...

What can I say but ditto....to all the comments....thanks for sharing.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Candy said...

It makes me angry and sad to read this story. I will never understand people who take something totally innocent and sweet and wonderful about childhood and turn it into something wrong and dark and wicked and shameful.

Do you dress up now? You should. You should dress up and go with your children and run from house to house laughing with chilly pink cheeks out of breath and full of life.

I would go with you.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Nanina:
You are so sweet! Thank you for that lovely compliment!! You are so right about my parents -- they were operating from a platform of fear they inherited from the church. They truly did mean well.

Squirl:
Coming from someone who reads as much as you, I take that as high praise. Thank you. And I enjoy the night, in retrospect, because it tells me a lot about who I am.

M_D:
Definitely a compliment, if said to you in a certain typeface...! And I'll always take hugs -- I'm a huggy kinda girl.

Sharkey:
I can still smell the plasticky scent of those bench seats if I try. But don't you love the perspective that becoming an adult gives you? I can look back and finally understand the conflict that confused me then. And you have certainly faced down a monster physically, so I know you are a strong woman emotionally. It's good to grow up, no?

Judy:
You're so sweet. Thank you!

JessicaRabbit:
Oh let's do it!! Although I will never have such a beautiful costume as yours! And yes, now that we have kids, I dress up to give out the candy. And I ALWAYS go with the kids and we DO run from house to house laughing our little fannies off -- but only the houses that are either lighted or have spooky decorations out so I know it's people who want to participate.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger The Q said...

You truly have a gift when it comes to writing.

I'm sorry you had such a sheltered life but I'm SO glad you were strong enough to see through all that and become the amazing woman you are today.

Your kids are SO lucky to have such a wise, understanding, insightful and sensitive Mom. They may not realize the power and strength you're instilling in them now, but someday they will. Even though I'm sorry you had to go through all that as a child, I'm so happy they don't have to!

And man guilt is the shits, huh? I try to avoid it whenever possible. I've given myself a BIG ole plate of freedom to hopefully bypass any chance of digging into a rotten bite of it :-)

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Kranki said...

This such a great/sad post. I wish your childhood Halloween could have been a guilty pleasure. So happy that you celebrate it now! Seeing it again through your kid's eyes.

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Susie said...

This is a very rich post, and as everyone says, you are a fine writer. I did not have parents who tried to keep me from Halloween, but I did have adult friends who did, years later. I completely understand their arguments. Many of their points are valid. My spiritual perspective on the day, like on most everything else is, that God sees what's in our hearts. Some people celebrate and perpetuate evil on Halloween, as they do on every other day of their lives. Some of us like to dress up in costumes and get us some candy -- and we would do THAT every day if the neighbors would stand for it! Like every other day, it's about what it's about for you. You were a wonderful, loyal child who honored your parents so much that candy didn't taste good! Wow. And the snow was totally God's gift to you.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its amazing the power we as parents wield. I think its great that you do not carry your parents fears on to ypur kids. I think the fears of our childhood are the hardest to overcome and you doing so speaks volumes. Did your folks ever give you a reason for their fears or was it just the fear of acknowledging a pagan holiday? I grew up without Halloween as it is an american holiday (I am South African), but I always longed to celebrate it and now I do with complete abandon (10 pounds later :)

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

This ought to cheer you up:
Come on over to my site!
Wanna show you my beloved niece and nephew, a.k.a Spiderman and the Princess.
They grow up too damnit fast...

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

No room for wise-ass remarks here. Well done!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger DCK said...

Great writing, beautiful post.

I can relate to this because I too was forbidden to participate in Halloween celebrations while growing up. But my parents never knew this by my high school always had a halloween party right after school, and I always attended even though I was believed to be at track practice.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger SierraBella said...

Wonderfully written!
Have you ever fessed up to your parents about this?
Glad you share the holiday with your own children!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger greatwhitebear said...

It amazes me that any of us ever survived childhood! I spent my whole adult life trying not to do to my kids what my folks did to me. I am sure that only means I gave them a whole different set of phobias!

And I stand in agreement with the others... you're a terrific writer!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

SoozieQ: How do you do that? How do you make me smile ear-to-ear just by showing up?? Thank you so much for those amazing and kind words. Guilt is a powerful motivator at times, but you're right... a big plate o' freedom sounds much better.

Mrtl: You flatter me! I'm glad you were able to go there with me. I bet it was way more fun with you there!

Kranki: Children are the ultimate do-over, sometimes. Their fresh outlook on the world can open up a view that was hidden to you before. Thanks for your sweet comment!

Susie: I couldn't speak for a few moments after reading your comment. Thank you.

Tammy: Thank you! With our family, it really was simply that the church to which we belonged discouraged participation, and my parents went along with that edict and there was no room for discussion.

South African? I'm fascinated!! I must learn more about how you're bridging any gaps that creates. I'm going to have to spend more time in your archives...!!!

M_D: Was I depressed? Dammit. I didn't even know. But I have checked out the cuteness over at your place, and you know what? It made me smile!

Bloggy: I didn't know there could be a place without room for wise-ass remarks if you're around! Damn. I want my wise-ass remark and I'm not going home until I get it. ;)

Thanks, man.

Twixie: Track practice! That's what I should have done!! *sigh* How do you feel about it now? Any regrets? Oh, and thank you for the compliment -- I'm glad you liked it.

SierraB: Thanks, love. You know, I never did. They may have figured it out and never let on for all I know. I punished myself far more thorougly than they ever could, so I lean toward the idea that they knew.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

GreatWhite: Welcome! How nice of you to drop by and say such a sweet thing!! And yeah -- I've wondered, when they say certain traits "skip" a generation? I bet it's just the pendulum swinging from one side to the other, generation to generation, back and forth... each one determined not to perpetuate what it was raised with. *sigh* But most of us get to adulthood anyway...!

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

So, like, did ya go home yet? Did ya? Huh?

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Well, it took you long enough! **sheesh** I'm going to be soooo tired, I didn't get to go home until 4! But fine, whatever. You changed your avatar -- I'm going to miss your little pecker.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Katy Barzedor said...

First, this is some great writin', girlie.

Now, onto the Halloween stuff:
I went to grade school with a girl who was a preacher's daughter, and she was not allowed to come to school when we had our Halloween party, because it was the Devil's Birthday.
Um....no, it isn't. And who decided the Devil was a Scorpio? Seems more like a Capricorn to me...

I agree with Susie - God sees what's in our hearts. And what could be so wrong about children of all ages puttin' on costumes and eatin' candy?

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Susie said...

bucky, as a Capricorn, I take serious offense, no, HUMBRAGE at your suggestion that Satan is a Capricorn. Um, NO.

Shari, I have thought so much about your post. If I'm still in blogworld next year, I want to try to offer my practicing Christian, trick-or-treatin' perspective on it. This week, one of my graduate student supervisees, who is an Assemblies of God pastor, was having a tough time with his strong anti-Halloween feelings, and his need to be nonjudging of his client families who were all excited about the holiday. People agonize over things that really don't warrant agony, yet turn a blind eye to issues that really are evil and destructive, and about which we could do something, if we'd only put the time, energy, money, thought into them. It's a goofy world we live in.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

Bucky: *heh heh* The Devil is a Capricorn.... Susie's a Capricorn.... Mr. E's a Capricorn.... and LGE's a Capricorn. Anyone else see the pattern here? I'm under siege!!!

Susie: I am quite interested in your perspective. I understand the conflict of your supervisee's position. Given the evangelical mandate to "be a witness" he'd be hard-pressed to let them perish in such darkness all the while standing by saying nothing. Bless his heart! But if you truly study the life of Christ as portrayed in the gospels, and leave out the doctrinal edicts of denominational traditions, you begin to see that he was not about drawing lines in the sand to see who would cross them (except for that one time with the harlot... *heh*). If you subscribe to Christianity, you have to believe that his sacrifice is either all-sufficient, as he claimed, or it isn't and requires your efforts at character perfection, as churches would have you believe. In my old age, I really think it IS that black and white.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

THAT was absolutely beautiful. I so envy people who can make a story so lyrical.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Jim: ABBA notwithstanding, you are my new best friend. Anyone who can intelligently quote Haley Mills, AS WELL AS say nice things about me... Thank you for the compliment!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

i sent you an email, but i'll summarize here, as well:

1. understated, subtle writing invites the pagan demons into my loin area.
2. this was understated and subtle.
3. the demons are having their way with my nether regions
4. this was a treat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home