Monday, September 05, 2005

Motif Monday (by mrtl): TRAVEL

Ah... to travel. The promise of shimmering shorelines, lazy mornings, high-thrill adventures, low-stress living. The lure of it is like gravity -- irresistable, omnipresent, invisible yet compelling.

As a child, my experience with travel was comprised mainly of frantic, gruelling journeys in the family car -- pulling a travel trailer and often a boat behind that -- as far as we could get from Denver and still return in 2 weeks. Every year a different direction, each trip a destination in itself. Occasionally we'd have need to fly, like on my 10th birthday when we adventured to Oahu and by doing so, extended the celebration to a 28-hour day. Big stuff when you're that age apparently, for I remember it still.

The vacation pattern in my family permitted me to "bag" all but one of the 50 states as a child. Alaska had to wait until later, but Mr. E and I spent 10 days there over our 2nd Anniversary and it was enchanted.

Still, I never had a passport until 2004. Then, in Feb. '05, we travelled with friends to Nicaragua. I can't describe it because the experience was so far beyond words. I long to visit the land down-under and it's neighbor, New Zealand; the United Kingdom and the "Old Countries" on the continent; India, Africa, and Thailand; Ecuador; the world is so large and diverse and I yearn to see it all. But...

There are children in the world dying for lack of basic physical necessities, far too many of them now within my own country. How to justify "saving" for liesure travel when the American Red Cross lacks sufficient water to slake the current thirst? So, my wanderlust will wait. But not, I hope, forever.

11 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

"Good God, that girl gets around!" Sorry -- I'm a child of the 80s, I admit it... I can quote from the "Footloose" soundtrack. It's just what your comment made me think of, mrtl. Thanks for stopping in.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Nina said...

Wow, you have been to all fifty states???? I am impressed. There are places I still want to go, and many I hope to see before I die. There are places in Colorado that I haven't seen . . . but wander lust calls me from farther away.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I love to travel, too. I've been to quite a few states along with Canada, Mexico, and Germany. I don't know if I'll ever make it to Alaska or Hawaii but i would like to hit all the contiguous 48 some day.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Susie said...

My kid is 9, and I'm still trying to figure out whether I want her to have the vacation experience of the "traditional" same place every summer -- beach, mountains, whatever, or something new every chance we get. There have been enough beach trips that that has become a bit traditional, but not every year, and we're still looking for new experiences. I guess I have decided -- a bit of both.

And *heh* Squirl said "contiguous." What? That's not dirty?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

So tell me, is traveling in the car as a family as much fun as people say? Or as horrible as they depict in the movies? I spent a chunk of my childhood in Hong Kong and Taiwan and we always had to fly. I feel like I've somehow missed out on the quintessential North American childhood.

Which part of Nicaragua did you go to? I remember visiting the slums of Costa Rica where all the Nicaraguan refugees lived, and heard heart-wrenching stories from these women who walked barefoot with their kids across the country and straight into the slums. The strength of the human spirit is astonishing.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger The Q said...

Ahhhh, family vacations. I remember quite a few where the 8 hour drive to Disneyland reduced my Brother to tears (I may or may not have been the cause) and my parents to squabble so horrendously that we were sure one of them was going to jump out of the moving car.

Other vacations (for my Dad's work) were much more enjoyable (Hawaii & Peurto Rico), but oddly enough my Brother still was reduced to tears on occasion.

I would really like to see more of the United States. In the wake of whats happening now, I'm humbly reminded that I may not get the chance to see certain parts of the country, as they once existed.

Being a (new) small business owner, I'm pretty sure there will be no vacations in our future for at least 2 to 12 years....

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Nanina: Yup, all 50...before age 30. Of course, there are places in each one -- including CO -- that I haven't see, but like you, the siren song of far away lands calls me.

Squirl: **huh huh huh** You said "contiguous" **huh huh huh** Susie thinks it's a dirty word! Shhhhhhh!! I've heard Germany is outstanding. What say you?

Susie: I believe that when parent(s) take time to be in the moment with their kids and enjoy each other, it really doesn't much matter what the activity or where the time is spent. LG is a lucky girl at the beach or anywhere else with you and Jif.

Zuhn: It was wonderful and it was horrible, and you probably did miss out on that part of typical N.Am. childhood. But how many N.Am. kids get to see Taiwan or H.K.?! We flew into Managua, from there to Grenada for 5 days, from there to the beach palapas, then back to Grenada, then Managua for another day and home. It was stunning, but then, it's been a long time since the Sandinistas and all the unrest.

Soozieq: I know what you mean with the poignant regret re: New Orleans... carpe diem, eh? Of course, that reminds me of a lame-o joke from childhood where a guy tries to return a calendar to the store because it's broken. "See, right there. It says 'carpe diem'." And the clerk says, "So?" And the guy says, "SO? So it's supposed to say Friday." And the clerk says, "Mister, I don't know where you're from, but around here Friday IS fish day." **Sorry**

Anyway, you best be taking vacation before 2 - 12 years, pal, because it's a long ol' drive from where you are to here! ;)

Kitty: You said 'down under'...! **blush** And you also said the nicest things. Thanks! Where did you go at 16 that took you over the river? I hope you make it to the westcoast someday -- I'd love to tour you around. It's beautiful here.

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My travels are sort of limited, but thats ok. I can travel with my kids when they're older. We've done camping trips, and thats always fun, but we've stayed in Michigan.

I'm so impressed that you've been to all 50 states. That is fantastic.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Can I say contiguous again or will that get me banned?

The vacations I'm talking about were after I was with Ichabod. My father didn't take us on vacation when we lived in Kentucky as he was a workaholic. Then when we moved to Michigan my mother insisted we take a week in the summer to visit family in Kentucky. Then my ex's family had a cottage up in Interlochen, MI. It was beautiful but it was also the only place he'd go as it was free. I love the vacations Ichabod and I have gone on since then. But only in the contiguous states.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Oops, I forgot to mention Germany. Yes, it is really beautiful there. When we were in Cologne we even got to see them do a "dig" at some Roman ruins there. Most people speak English so we didn't have too hard a time, especially since Ichabod's friend (a German) took us most everywhere we went.

The trip home was weird/funny/eventful. Maybe I'll write a post about it some day. But definitely go there if you get the chance.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

Vienna, Austria is beautiful.
If you ever have a chance, go. The museums are vast and full of history and culture, and the food is pretty tasty, too.
Really tasty.
*goes to get a glass of water to handle stomach growlings*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home