Monday, September 19, 2005

Motif Monday (by mrtl): ROAD RAGE

The Topic du Jour plays right into my character flaws: impatience and perfectionism. For years I've tried to view driving as a little slice of life; a diarama, if you will, that displays my prowess in handling stressors and unexpected delays. And for years behind the wheel, I have bowed my head in defeat.

I mean, seriously. The first occasion I recognized that indeed I have these character flaws -- particularly when driving -- was when my darling two year old daughter shrieked at one of her toys, "MOOOVE, you didiot!"

Um, yeah...Earth to Eclectic? Come in, Eclectic. Can you read me? You're the impatient jerk in the Honda. Get a grip on yourself.

But... I just can't.

Why is it so hard for folks to figure out how to drive? See, the speed limit signs correspond nicely to the little numbers on your speedometer. Please make them match. And the turn signal? Well, that little gizmo is there for a reason. Please figure it out. And you me-firsters who think it's okay to rush, in the lane that ends, all the way up to the point of merger and then butt your way into line? Yeah, there's a special place in a very special line waiting just for you someday. Oh, and before I forget, those of you who need to wait and/or stop at a GREEN light? Yeah, that's fine and all, unless it causes me -- three cars behind you -- to miss that light...in which case, it really pisses me off.

*sigh* So now you, the Internet At Large, know the ugly truth about me. "Hi. My name is Eclectic, and I'm a recovering road-rager. Today is my 10th day in a row without screaming at another driver."

9 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger SierraBella said...

Am I first???
You're so right about some drivers!
And why are we always behind them?

Love your little blue eclectic in the previous post!

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

Is it really you, SierraBella? You're here, and you're FIRST!!! It's a banner day!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger The Q said...

There is NO way I could go 10 days without screaming at another driver. Thank goodness The Dog (my usual daily passenger) doesn't know the meanings of my words nor can he repeat them at the most inopportune time

:::imagine being at a fancy hotel, enjoying their delicious Sunday Brunch:::

You're in line for food and a Little One yells at you to "move your fat ass idiot f*ckwad" as you're blocking the waffle station that he/she so desperately wants to partake in.

Yah, that'd be what would happen to me if I drove around small impressionable children instead of The Dog.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

I am so with you on all the stupid thing that other drivers do.

I can't say it's been 10 since I last yelled at a lousy driver, though.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

So it was you in that impatient Honda! Congrats on the 10 days, you should get a chip for that or something.

I think there's something about being behind a steering wheel that makes everyone kind of ornery. Maybe it has something to do with the control we have over something so massive and powerful as a car. I know that my blood boils at pedestrians who stand off the curb, or jaywalk and I think, how many points do I get if I hit the old lady? And yet, I'm that same pedestrian who jaywalks and stands off the curb.

Oh, and I knew a guy who cured his road rage by sticking a smiley face sticker on the dashboard and forced himself to look at the sticker whenever he got mad. Might be worth a try.

Dang! Sorry for the long comment.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger I'm not here. said...

Oh my God!
10 days without yelling at someone?
I bow to your superiority.
*bows*
This is me on the road:
"Move it, sweetcheeks!"
"Park it or drive it, jackass!" (Momma's fave while I was little)
"Honey, put down the hairbrush and quit tailgating me. That is as good as you're gonna get right now."

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you on your child mimicking you. It really makes you think...

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Nina said...

We are so alike, but you already knew that . . . I did my road rage post back in July I think. . . that turn signal thing really gets me . . .

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger ALRO said...

Oh man.. yer preaching to the choir here !!

Many of my blog entries are about the idiot drivers!!

My last one was about idiot cyclists..

I'm a patient man... really - i am.. but when it comes to stupidity and 'driver's hesitation for fear of hitting anything including the speed-limit" .. i have none!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home