Wednesday, August 17, 2005

August 18

Fourteen years ago you cried.

I was doing just fine until I saw the tears escape your eyes, but when I did, their counterparts suddenly welled up in my own. My father's tears as he walked me down the aisle touched me, but they did not cause me to cry. Your tears as you promised me forever? Well... they did.

We didn't know then that the first year would be hell, and we had no idea that we would want to call it quits. We couldn't foresee the traveling that would cause friction, or the challenge of blending the Eastcoast with West. Standing there that day, feeling in love, we knew so little of what it would take to face the next fourteen years together. And still, the magnitude of the undertaking moved us both to tears. Somehow we knew that what we were doing was huge and brave.

In those years we have brought 3 incredible children to life; we've lived in 9 different houses; buried 2 fathers, 2 faithful dogs and a wonderful kitty; we've survived distance, differences and difficulties; started a business and now merged with another; lost a couple babies and let go some dreams. At times we have argued, and despaired, and given up. But more times we have listened, and believed, and loved.

And we know now what we didn't know then. Love is fluid and fragile, just as it is stable and strong. It sometimes demands more than anyone can give, and other times gives more than anyone can receive.

Loving you is harder for me than I ever dreamed possible, and infinitely more rewarding than I dared to hope. And being loved by you is something for which I shall be always, always thankful.

Happy Anniversary, Smith. I do... still.

17 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

this is absolutely beautiful...

peace...

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger The Q said...

That was/is wonderful! Mr. E is so lucky to have you and I'm guessing he's pretty darn deserving as well.

I'd love to make it to 14 years.

You truly have an amazing gift with words.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Nina said...

WOW ~ this is absolutely beautiful eclectic . . . okay I had tears just reading.
May the two of you have a lifetime of Anniversaries.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger jac said...

That was the best compliment extended to whoever it may concern, that was nice and touchy and I join you in your good will.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger p.p. said...

aaaawwwww...

I'm sure he appreciates your abs! ;)

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. So beautiful. Happy Anniversary. You and Ladybug both. Too cool. Like Nanina said...may the two of you have a lifetime of anniversaries.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

Happy Anniversary Eclectic and Mr. E. I wish you many more.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Brandon said...

happy anniversary. when you make it to 20 i'll send steve perry to sing at the celebration.

well, i'll ask him, anyway.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger SierraBella said...

That was incredibly beautiful.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

*digging toe in the carpet* Awww, you guys are just so nice!

monkey: Peace, indeed, sistah. Back atcha!

soozieq: From what I can see, 14 is gonna be a cinch for you two!

swlf/Nikki: Wish I could take some of the pain away. Thanks for dropping by!

nanina & mrtl: Didn't mean to get you guys crying, too -- sorry! But I'll take it as a compliment...

jac: Thanks!

peter: *blush* So he says...

lawbrat: We're planning on it! Thanks for being here today, sweetie!

zuhn: Thank you kindly! It was a wonderful day. I'll blog it soon.

brando: Steve Perry....*swoon*... On second thought, maybe you better not. He'd probably ask me to run away with him and I'm just not that kinda girl.

sierrabella: *warm smile* Thanks! So glad you're feeling
better!!!!

kitty: He must be made of catnip -- all kitties love him, even you! Hold out for someone who will love you just like that -- you deserve it!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger jac said...

I wana add you to my blogroll, do you mind ?

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

jac: How nice! :)

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Susie said...

Oh, I'm late. Always late. Happy Anniversary. A beautiful tribute to a real love. God bless you and your marriage, for many, many more years.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Happy anniversary to you both, I hope in 14 years I can write something like this to my guy.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Squirl said...

Happy Anniversary! That was so sweet.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

susie: A comment from you is ALWAYS better than none, and I'll take it -- whenever you have time to give one! Thank you for checking in, and for that lovely blessing.

jessicarabbit: Thank you so much! 14 years seems like a long time until you look around and it went so quickly! Be good to each other - you are a rare treasure.

squirl: Thanks!! He's an easy subject, so it wasn't much of a challenge. Welcome back!

kitty: You are soooooo very welcome -- I meant it. And thank you for the gentle nudge about today's date...*heh*...I've corrected the problem now. ;)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger WILLIAM said...

I loved the last paragraph.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home