Monday, June 20, 2005

Monday, Monday -- can't trust that day.

Headed to the gym as usual this a.m., but an unusual thing happened. I stopped at the red light and waited at an intersection I've driven through a million times each day for the last 8 years. When the light turned green, I proceeded forward only to be slammed by a car from my right. He was trying to "make the light" and managed to slice off the entire front end of my car. Apparently in some cultures, yellow means hit the accelerator from 50 yards back.

As the slammer didn't have valid insurance, it looks like I'll have to make a claim on mine, which will mean higher premiums for any number of years. And the bodyshop guy looking at my van just shook his head sadly and said, "Yeeah....she took a bit of a shot, din't she? She gohna take an awful lotta work if they dohn' total'er out." *sigh*

Still, neither the slammer nor I was seriously injured, and there was no one else in either vehicle. Stuff can be replaced, even if it's a royal pain in the ass to get it done. Hey! Look at me being all "glass half-full" and "oooh, see the pretty silver lining"...!

OK, so here's the hard truth: I'm pissed off that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and even more that I didn't drive defensively and see him coming through the red in time to avoid being hit. That said, I truly AM relieved -- and thankful -- that I am still around to raise these kids; I'm not in a hospital or a wheelchair; and my mind is still as sound as it's ever been. (Let's save the snide comments and that discussion for another day, shall we...?!)

You gotta admit: it's a hella way to start the week, eh? Maybe I'll just go back to bed. Wake me up when the new car is paid for...!

9 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ouch.

i'm glad you're okay. don't even think twice about "defensive driving"... that's what accidents are all about.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

aaron: Thanks, man. I've got waaaaaaay too much fishing to do, so I can't check out just yet! :)

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger zuhn said...

yikes. Nothing like a near miss to make you corral the loved ones a little closer. Happy to hear no one was hurt.

Also, one more reason to hate Mondays. And going to the gym.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

zuhn: Maybe I'll consider not going to the gym on Mondays, anyway!! Or maybe, I'll just get my ass outta bed at 4:15, which is when I was SUPPOSED to get up this morning, instead of blowing off my 5:00 appointment and heading in for 6:00. Ahhhhh, hindsight...!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

glad you're okay (although a sick part of me kind of wishes i might get a little non-life-threatening hospital time. as long as the hospital has wi-fi...)

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger eclectic said...

brando: You know, you're right! Shoulda milked this for a couple days off with room service!

What's that? Oh no, nurse, I'm sure I DON"T need my vitals taken!!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Susie said...

So very glad you're OK. I was in one of those a couple of months ago, and one with a deer a couple of years ago. They just remind me of how quickly everything can change. This time, a car and an insurance payment will change.

Just stop with your over-achieving "defensive driving" failure crap. (I like you enough to say that; I hope you like me enough to put up with it from me.)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger eclectic said...

susie: I like you more because you said it!

Blogging has some great people on its member list. You guys have been soooo encouraging -- thanks!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Squirl said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Life does change in a split second. I'm glad no one was hurt. Sucks about your van, though. Last year Ichabod and I were hit in the side by a vehicle going at least 55mph.

I will swear by Volkswagens. We both walked away, literally. The car was totalled. I was pretty sore and bruised, but we're both still around to tell the story.

I hope that you have good luck with your vehicle situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home